• FALLS CREEK/MERCERSBURG ALCO S-2

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Alcoman

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this Alco switcher?
Some have said that it ended up on the New York & Lake Erie Railroad.
If so, What kind of condition is it in?

by HBTM M-39

Falls Creek owned both of the Mercersburg S-2s, one was a parts engine and the other was in, at least, decent shape. Judging by its condition in the mid-80s, however, to hear of its existence today would be surprising. I'd love to hear that at least one of those still exists!

Keith
  by trainspot

Keith, The Falls Creek #61 was ex-LIRR #445, previously D&H #3003.
It was purchased by ISS in New Castle, PA and given its D&H # again!
Here is a link to photos from 2002, the unit is up for sale, last I heard.
http://www.tamr.org/Andy_Inserra/iss.htm
  by jr

I believe that one Falls Creek S-2 is still at Gowanda, on the NYLE. It was owned, some 12 years ago, by the late George Hockaday. I don't know who owns it now.

One of these S-2s was damaged in a runaway incident on the Falls Creek. If the other FCRR is operable, as mentioned above, I would assume that the one on the NYLE was the damaged/runaway unit. It has been cannibalized for parts, for at least the past 12 years.

JR
  by trainspot

Yes, that is the one we are looking for! Have you seen it recently, and do you have a photo of it? Thanks!
  by jr

I have not seen it recently, but it was listed on another website bulletin board, as still being on the roster of the NYLE.

I know for certain that it was still there in about 1992. Even at that time, there were many pieces already removed - turbocharger, radiators, part of the hood, and one (or possibly both) of the trucks, if my memory is right.

There must be someone near Gowanda with newer/better info on this unit.

JR
  by thebigham

jr wrote:I have not seen it recently, but it was listed on another website bulletin board, as still being on the roster of the NYLE.

I know for certain that it was still there in about 1992. Even at that time, there were many pieces already removed - turbocharger, radiators, part of the hood, and one (or possibly both) of the trucks, if my memory is right.

There must be someone near Gowanda with newer/better info on this unit.

JR
I live near Gowanda.

#62 is still there. It has been heavily cannibalized.

Chris

by HBTM M-39

Very thankfully, I stand corrected! Glad to hear both those girls are still around. I may have even inadvertantly shot #61 (3003) last summer at ISS - need to check my digitals.

Keith

www.bbandbrr.com