• Knowing train locations while not working in the cab

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by bathukopian

You can feel switches and bridges. Also well lit facilities along the line. If all else fails on straight track in the middle of nowhere you can look out the window on the rear door. The marker lights will light up mile post signs as you pass them.
  by CSX Conductor

Ocala Mike wrote:The engineer calls signals and other information to the conductor via radio. Also, defect detector announcements give milepost information.
Not on the NEC as we're not required to call signals because of cab signals. :wink:
AcelaExpress wrote:Nothings better than being on a train at night and a passenger asks where are we and within a couple seconds your going thru the roughest interlocking on the railroad.lol.
By the roughest interlocking on the railroad I'm assuming that you're referring to Pike (CP223) on the Mets. Harold's bad too though, lol.
  by Ocala Mike

Naturally, CSX Conductor, I defer to those who are professional railroaders. I was only relating my observations about Amtrak Conductors here in the Sunshine State. Keep in mind that this thread originated, I believe, in the Amtrak forum and "migrated" over here (rightly so) as a result of the moderator's action.

My basic point was stated better in my second paragraph anyway.