• ex-CNW executive F's in Cheyenne?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Tadman

I remember hearing a few years ago that the former CNW executive train F-units were still parked at Cheyenne near the steam shop, unused. Are they still there or have they been disposed of? It was my impression that the steam program got both the 949-951 E's and the F's to look after. Since the E's were already somewhat unused, no money was put into the F's for exhibition/use.
  by Leo_Ames

After the merger when they were moved there, it was described as being done for "safekeeping" in the railfan press. Much like how the first SD7 that served the Southern Pacific spent some time there before being donated into preservation.

I don't think there was ever any intentions of restoring them for business train/excusion train use, E's or no E's. Their operating budget traditionally has just gone towards restoring/maintaining equipment original to the Union Pacific.

I think most of them have been sold off. I think the Canyon City & Royal Gorge uses a couple for example.
  by atsf sp

401 I believe is still in Cheyenne, but not restored.