• Pointo of Rocks Railfanning

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by ckwwestshore

This August, I'll be visiting friends in the area, and I want to take a trip to the area around Point of Rocks. I don't really care about passenger, but I'd like to see some of MARC's MP36s in action. I want to catch CSX freights at the tunnel, and at the station. I will have about 1-2 hours at any given time or day to spend here. When is the best time for CSX freights at these two locations, and is there anything I should know about this area? I have a scanner, and I don't have frequencies, and I don't know what to listen for either. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks
Charlie
CSX's Chicago Line in Rochester ny
  by poppyl

Charlie;

Point of Rocks is a good location for railfanning -- the CSX main from Brunswick/Cumberland splits into the Old Mainline (to Baltimore) and Metropolitan Sub (DC and then up to Baltimore) there. Freight action is heaviest overnight but mid-morning to mid-afternoon on weekdays can be busy. Frequencies are 160.32 for Baltimore dispatch (handles everything east of Brunswick on both lines); 160.23 for road units; and 160.53 for the Brunswick Yard. Expect to see coal, stack, and auto unit trains along with normal freights.

In-bound MARC runs begin about 5 AM and continue at about 30 minute intervals until around 8 or 9 AM. Out-bounds begin around 3 PM and run through 8 PM. The MARC trains stop at Point of Rocks with some then continuing on the Old Main to Frederick and the rest heading west to Brunswick and/or Martinsburg, WVA. You can also catch an outbound
AMTRAK late in the PM and depending upon scheduling, sometimes an in-bound as well.

Poppyl
  by PVRX1

Assuming the schedule hasn't changed much. The empty stone train was coming through the tunnel and over the bridge to the line to Winchester shortly after 3pm. The loaded version returns two or so hours later. It uses the long trestle through the national park too, which affords good photography.
  by gprimr1

I went to Point of Rocks this weekend, it was really nice, and the fact that all the signals are home signals helps because you can see movements coming.

ATCS works great too, but you need a scanner with a discriminator or a mobile internet connection.
  by jmonner

Point of Rocks is a great place to railfan. There is a small general strore and a river park and the north track has a short tunnel.

While you are there, venture a few miles west to Brunswick and see the yard. A lot of freights stop for quick crew changes and refueling. The service road on the west end of the commuter lot leads to an 84 Lumber yard along which trains are staged and stored.

AND, while your there, kick up the road a bit further to Harpers Ferry! Fantastic railfanning location and lots to see while you are waiting.