• SEPTA's Railroad Network (circa 1979, The Pawson Files)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Pacobell73

Another snapshot from Delaware Valley Rails by John R. Pawson. What is most fascinating about this writeup on the Rergional Rail network is how very little has changed in 31 years. While other transit agencies in the northeast have truly redefined themselves since Conrail washed their hands of the money-losing commuter trains, SEPTA's misguided management strategies have truly weakened what was once a superb railway system. Other interesting facts are funding sources and how the loss of freight seriously hurt the commuter system. Commuter trains have always been a tough propostion. Only in the early days did they make a smidge of a profit. Read on...

23% of the Philadelphia area's public transportation riders use the two railroad systems which give local passenger service to many parts of the city and its suburbs. These systems consist of 13 mostly-electrified routes covering about 215 separate route miles. They were first developed separately under PRR and RDG ownership and operation. They serve many outlying areas where no transit lines go and provide alternate transport especially needed when the city transit system is struck or otherwise disrupted.

Service is controlled but not operated by SEPTA. The authority owns the rolling stock, which now consists mostly of electric MU cars less than 15 years old. Ownership of track and other facilities is divided among SEPTA, Amtrak and Conrail (CR). CR crews operate the trains, most of the stations, and maintenance facilities. CR's Philadelphia division runs the the former PRR routes out of Penn Center Suburban Station in downtown Philadelphia; Reading division, those out of Reading Terminal.

Under the legislation which created CR, the railroad as prime contractor now receives operating subsidies which fully cover losses. Payments of about $50 million annually come from the U.S., Pennsylvania, Delaware, Philadelphia, and the Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery County governments.

EARLY DEVELOPMENT
Railroads began carrying local passengers here even before a transit system existed. Commutation began soon after the state-built railroad to the west opened in 1834. The railroad, in an effort to fill seats on otherwise lightly used trains, offered to "commute" or exchange the right to ride within a specific zone for one year to persons who would make annual payment to the company. Industrialization of Philadelphia had already caused some of the wealthy to move beyond the built-up areas. Others soon took up residence near outlying train stations and began commuting.

Eventually special trains were run for this traffic. Some branch lines (to Chestnut Hill, Frankford, etc.) and stations were built largely for this business, sometimes at the behest of directors who dabbled in real estate. After the two major companies each built consolidated downtown terminals (PRR's Broad Street Station and RDG's Reading Terminal) around 1890, the practice of living in the suburbs and commuting by train became popular among office workers generally.

Suburban services were mildly profitable at best, but they were thought justified by the amount of freight traffic generated by the new suburbs. Also they were a convenience to employees who rode on pass to the downtown company headquarters which were located in the terminal buildings.

Between 1915 and 1938, the companies implemented electric MU operation to stem rising costs and speed up operations. The PRR built an underground terminal (Penn Center Suburban Station) to replace Broad Street, which it was recognized occupied too much valuable downtown real estate.

As elsewhere in public transport, several negative trends began at this time. Widespread automobile ownership allowed their owners to make their own schedules. Growth of jobs and shopping centers in the suburbs reduced railroad traffic. Freight profits, which had offset passenger service losses, declined.

By the late 1950s, Philadelphia had become one of only five U.S. cities to retain a major suburban railroad network. Even here, many of the minor routes (especially those in New Jersey operating out of the Camden ferry terminal) had been discontinued. Service cuts on the more heavily-used routes were meeting increased opposition. There seemed to be three alternatives
1) abandon all service
2) convert to rail transit
3) have the taxpayers subsidize operations

The first alternative was considered detrimental to Philadelphia because of its poor road access. The first two were opposed by the railroad unions. The last, backed by downtown business interests, politicians and unions, was the one which PRR and RDG, under pressure, adopted.
  by Pacobell73

Cover of Pawson's book, a superb publication

...along with a superb map to boot.
  by Clearfield

I've had the book since it was published, and I still use it for reference.
  by SubwayTim

Delaware County Community College's (Main Campus) library had that book and I used to borrow it often back in the mid 1980's (1984-1985) when I attended a couple of semesters there. After a while the book started to fall apart (pages separating from the binding and falling out) and it was removed from the shelf and it was said to have been sent out to be fixed. I often wish I had a copy of that book to keep. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy??? I know with the book being circa 1979, it is quite "dated", but it had a lot of track maps and (black and white) photos of rolling stock that was on the rails during the late 1970's.
  by PARailWiz

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy??? I know with the book being circa 1979, it is quite "dated", but it had a lot of track maps and (black and white) photos of rolling stock that was on the rails during the late 1970's.
I ordered a copy on Amazon via a used bookseller a copy weeks ago. It was in mediocre condition but is complete.
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

I have this book as well. My dad has a copy that was a gift to him back in '79. I ordered my own copy, 19 years later via Amazon.com. However, there was an update which was several pages stapled togethere like a grade school test. This update was publised in either '81 or '82. It mentions the suspension of rail service to Allentown/Bethlehem as well as Pottsville/Reading and the construction of the Center City Tunnel. I know that my dad still has it, but he has so many boxes full of books and magazines that I haven't had the time to look for it. Does anyone out there know where a copy might be available?
  by BoxallsAccommodation

I still have my ancient copy and it too is falling apart -- I still wonder why publishers describe this type of binding as perfect binding.
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

Probably because "Prefect" describes how cheap it costs and improves the publishers' bottom lines!
  by Franklin Gowen

BuddCarToBethlehem wrote:However, there was an update which was several pages stapled togethere like a grade school test. This update was publised in either '81 or '82. It mentions the suspension of rail service to Allentown/Bethlehem as well as Pottsville/Reading and the construction of the Center City Tunnel.

Well, well! This is the first time I've ever heard of an "addenda expansion" having been printed for Mr. Pawson's book. Alas, I think the chances of acquiring a set of addenda now are on par with discovering how the Edmund Fitzgerald really sank.
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

Franklin Gowen wrote: Well, well! This is the first time I've ever heard of an "addenda expansion" having been printed for Mr. Pawson's book. Alas, I think the chances of acquiring a set of addenda now are on par with discovering how the Edmund Fitzgerald really sank.
I also starting to think you'd have better chance of getting Gordon Lightfoot to write a song about the "addenda expansion" then actually finding it!

Besides, on a railroad site, wouldn't finding out who burned the Poughkeepsie Bridge be a better comparison?
  by Franklin Gowen

BuddCarToBethlehem wrote:Besides, on a railroad site, wouldn't finding out who burned the Poughkeepsie Bridge be a better comparison?
Touché, good sir. :-)
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

Thank you, my good man! Howerer:

I noes my history! And my'es grammer... Pained me to type those first four words! :-D
  by BoxallsAccommodation

Besides, I'm sure Franklin Gowen would presume the Poughkeepsie bridge was burned by latter day Molly Maguires.
  by BoxallsAccommodation

I just dug up my copy here in Sydney (perhaps the only copy in the Antipodes) just to confirm what is show on the map on the rear cover. Did anyone else notice that the Newtown Square Branch of the Pennsy is shown as being Septa-owned (at least the abandoned section at the time west of Grassland?
  by BuddCarToBethlehem

BoxallsAccommodation wrote:Did anyone else notice that the Newtown Square Branch of the Pennsy is shown as being Septa-owned (at least the abandoned section at the time west of Grassland?
Hate to say it, but I never gave that a thought. Growing up in the Lehigh Valley, I've always been more interested in the Reading, Lehigh Valley, & Jersey Central, more than the Pennsy.

Here are a couple links to some sites about the branch. Of course, I can't vouch for their accuracy, but it's a good start. Besides, anything is better than wikipedia!

http://www.panix.com/~kurisuto/newtown_square_branch/

http://www.newtownsquare-railroadmuseum.org