• VRE new express train begins July 19

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

Their will be major schedule changes on the morning Fredericksburg Line, when the new express train is added. The express train will become Train #300. In addition Train #312 will be added to the schedule.

(Note: Currently Train #312 is the unpublished deadhead train that returns to DC after Train #301 gets to Fredericksburg)

An express train will be added that will depart at 5:05a, which will be labeled as Train 300.
Train 302 will operate on Train 300's old schedule.
Train 304 will operate on Train 302's schedule and depart 5 minutes earlier from each station.
Train 306 will operate on Train 304's schedule and depart 5 minutes earlier from each station.
Train 308 will operate on Train 306's schedule and depart 5 minutes earlier from each station.
Train 310 will operate on Train 308's schedule and depart 5 minutes earlier from each station.
An additional train will be added to morning service, labeled as Train 312, and operate 5 minutes earlier than Train 310's schedule.
Train 305 will operate 5 minutes later.
http://www.vre.org/service/service-information.htm
  by Amtrak7

Also note:
Amtrak Trains 20, 51, 19 and 50 will no longer be available for use under the Cross-Honor Agreement.
Amtrak Trains 80, 66, 67 and 79 will no longer be available for use under the Cross-Honor Agreement.
I guess that because Amtrak is no longer VRE's operational contractor, the cross-honor program will be limited to the state-sponsored trains only.
  by davinp

Amtrak7 wrote:Also note:
Amtrak Trains 20, 51, 19 and 50 will no longer be available for use under the Cross-Honor Agreement.
Amtrak Trains 80, 66, 67 and 79 will no longer be available for use under the Cross-Honor Agreement.
I guess that because Amtrak is no longer VRE's operational contractor, the cross-honor program will be limited to the state-sponsored trains only.
It seems like most all Amtrak trains are elimnated, but if you look at the current schedule, only 2 of 5 trains in the morning and afternoon on the Fredericksburg line will no longer be available.
  by chucksc

Dave the step up has not been widely used since Amtrak unilaterally raised it to a flat $10 some time ago - this is significant to only a few folks....
  by davinp

The fact that some Amtrak trains will no longer be available, says VRE spokesman Mark Roeber, is not linked to Keolis assuming operation of VRE Trains.
Amtrak says those trains were leased used by VRE riders. So, CSX, Amtrak & VRE decided to remove those trains from the schedule.
  by chucksc

davinp wrote:The fact that some Amtrak trains will no longer be available, says VRE spokesman Mark Roeber, is not linked to Keolis assuming operation of VRE Trains.
Amtrak says those trains were leased used by VRE riders. So, CSX, Amtrak & VRE decided to remove those trains from the schedule.
I knew I was forgetting something in the earlier discussion... Amtrak unilaterally raised the step-up to $10 instead of the couple of bucks it was before...
That became a bone of contention with VRE and supposedly Amtrak management was very intransegent about negotiating a reasonable fare...
It appears from off the record comments that Amtrak did not want to sell those seats...

Remember they got paid by VRE for those they carried and then got the step-up... I believe when they went to $10 it was not about fare equity, it was about keeping those pesky commuters off of their "pristine" ill-maintained junk! And let me tell you the amtrash coaches are junk compared to the VRE bilevels IMHO...

Got them selves a whole lot of bad karma behind that one too....

It would appear that Amtrak's whole approach to VRE was not well thought out or coordinated. The arrogance that I heard reported by people who were involved in negotiating with Amtrak management while responding to VRE concerns would have been a deal breaker alone if I had been on the selection comittee....

Is it any wonder they came in 3rd...

It is just a flaming shame that the really great crews we had were handicapped by such a self destructive management business culture? :P
  by davinp

Also, for some reason when Amtrak put out its bid, they include startup costs. What would they need startup costs, since they were already operating VRE?

With the new schedule, VRE no longer has to run a deadhead train back to Washington, saving time and money.

Train 312 is now the last morning train and will operate as mid-train Train 301, which is 4 cars. This train will not need to return to Union Station for evening service as the equipment used on the express train will be used as Train #313

(Previously Train #301 returned to be used as Train #309)

http://www.vre.org/service/consist.htm