• Havre De Grace station

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by Bobby S

When and why was this station closed down? I was riding Amtrak this morning and saw the remains of a station. Seems like this could be used again. However parking could be a problem.
  by gprimr1

The NEC from Lewis Lane to the river is 2 tracks, not very practical to maintain a station there.
  by Station Aficionado

I'd have to dig out my timetables to be sure, but I don't think Havre de Grace has been a station stop at any time in the Amtrak era. You'd have to go back to PC or, more likely, PRR days. Besides the track situation noted by Mr. Primrose, I'd note that there is a MARC and sometimes Amtrak station across the river in Perryville, and another a few miles south in Aberdeen. I can't see any need to reestablish a station in Havre de Grace.
  by Bobby S

I know it's apples to oranges but I think a stop in Havre de Grace would be justified as a stop for morning commuters as the town has a nice size population and they wouldn't have to cross the river to Perryville or commute down Rt 40. I have noticed trains going over the bridge do so at low speeds so stopping wouldn't take too long. The distance between all three cities is pretty decent. I mean take a look at NJ Transit and their Montclair Line stations esp Montclair.
  by hutton_switch

Bobby S wrote:I know it's apples to oranges but I think a stop in Havre de Grace would be justified as a stop for morning commuters as the town has a nice size population and they wouldn't have to cross the river to Perryville or commute down Rt 40. I have noticed trains going over the bridge do so at low speeds so stopping wouldn't take too long. The distance between all three cities is pretty decent. I mean take a look at NJ Transit and their Montclair Line stations esp Montclair.
The MARC Penn Line originates in Perryville. You might contact MARC and see what sort of a response you get. Yes, it doesn't make sense to northerly cross the Susquehanna River to get to a station for a southbound MARC train.
  by gprimr1

Stopping isn't really the issue, the issue of tieing up one of the two tracks for a passenger stop. Now Edgewood is a two track station stop, so it's not unheard of, but you'll see most of the time there is a third or 4th track where MARC stops.