• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

NRGeep wrote:I'm assuming the former business train loco(s) have returned to regular revenue service?
There are no former business train locomotives. The preferred power for the business train in recent years was the 516/517 combo (and before that, a pair from the 300 series), but they were never dedicated exclusively to business train service. They were/are part of the regular freight locomotive fleet.
  by MEC407

Reader#108 wrote:I thought I just saw in another post that the Business Train doesn't carry passengers. What does it do?
It carries passengers. That's what passenger cars are for. :-D

Sometimes people see it out and about and it appears to be empty. These could be deadhead moves or test runs with the new locomotives. But aside from that, the purpose of the business train is to carry passengers -- company officials, important customers, politicians, miscellaneous big-wigs.
  by b&m 1566

For those that do not follow the Conway Scenic Thread, 6516 left yesterday (July 7th) and should be in Waterville within a day or two. Conway Scenic crews ran the engine light through Crawford Notch for the final time in route to Whitefield, NH. I’m not sure if New Hampshire Central has already picked up the engine or if it's sitting in Whitefield waiting to be picked up or moved to Groveton under its own power.
  by Otto Vondrak

MEC407 wrote:
Reader#108 wrote:I thought I just saw in another post that the Business Train doesn't carry passengers. What does it do?
It carries passengers. That's what passenger cars are for. :-D
Let's be specific. Railroads keep a fleet of excursion cars so they can operate their own trains to tour the property with management, politicians, important shippers, or other invited guests. "Business Train," "Inspection Train," "Office Car Special," whatever you want to call it.
  by Tadman

To be even more specific, the passengers carried aboard a train like this are passengers on company business. They're usually on a tour of the property and the railroad has invited them in an effort to promote good relations. This is in contrast to revenue passengers who buy tickets for transport from one place to another on MBTA or Amtrak. Business trains don't carry revenue passengers, they carry decision making passengers.
  by NRGeep

Could one or both of "the sisters" ever be pressed into freight service?
  by MEC407

In theory, yes. Would it be practical? No. Will it ever happen? I'm reluctant to say "never" -- after all, this company is full of surprises, now more than ever. :wink:
  by PBMcGinnis

I was always told that the Pan Am OCS was referred to in some circles as the "circus train" for all of the clowns it carried. ;-)
  by newpylong

PBMcGinnis wrote:I was always told that the Pan Am OCS was referred to in some circles as the "circus train" for all of the clowns it carried. ;-)
yup!
  by atsf sp

Are these engines now the first not to have MEC/BM/ST markings on them?
  by guilfordrailfan

atsf sp wrote:Are these engines now the first not to have MEC/BM/ST markings on them?
Yes. PAR 1 & 2 are the first Guilford or Pan Am locomotives not to have either MEC, BM, ST, DH or PTM reporting marks.
  by tom18287

i would imagine they'll keep it that way. they've kept all of the revenue earning companies seperate for a reason to begin with. i would imagine that it why they have this one PAR, it doesnt earn any revenue.
  by MEC407

True, although neither do the passenger cars, and those are lettered for ST.
  by b&m 1566

It will be interesting to see if they change ST to PAR on the cars.