Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Alcochaser

Allright.... I need to know a couple things about the LIRR C420 units.

What gearing and maximum speed did the LIRR C420 have? I understand that the AAR-B trucked first order had higher gears then the smaller Hi-AD trucked second order.

Did these have MU? One end? Both ends?

What are the "airfoil" like flaps on each side of the locomotives for? Are they smoke lifters?

Did the control stand face the long hood end?
Da Alcochaser

by Liquidcamphor

I can answer some of your questions..one of the guys from the shops could probably do better. My experience was with the L-2's.

The "F" end was the long hood end, so yes, the control stand was on the right side when running long hood foward.

They were capable of MU short and long hood ends..

From what they told us, the airfoil flaps were like you stated, smoke lifters.

They DEFINATELY could run at least 80mph..

An added note, they had a toilet in the short hood end right as you walked in, sharing the space with the steam boiler.

Anything else, I'm sure someone else can help.

by scopelliti

Back in the 1960s a friend and I used to hang around Mineola quite a bit to watch the action. One day the tower operator invited us up for a visit which was quite cool.

During that visit one of us asked aboout the winglets on the sides of the hood on the 420s. He told us they were installed to protect the crew from people who hung bricks from overpasses.
  by trainspot

The 200-221 had 64:19 gearing and 222-229 had 79:24. 80 MPH comes to mind, but don't quote me on that!

by Legio X

I believe those "winglets" are smoke deflectors.

by Legio X

by Legio X

by Alcochaser

Allright thanks for the replies......

Did these have alignment control couplers?