• Rail service to Fort Devens, MA

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by lcrprez

i used to work in the old commissary building in fort devens, which is now a sappy paper interchange building, we used to unload boxcars and load the paper into trucks... i know this building used to get delliveries of food, live stock, provisions, and there are some old abandoned tracks laying around that used to be siding for other military buildings...now the fort has been decomissioned and it has become a small town... alot of rail activity... there are a few industries that have sidings and a intermodel yad...
  by Jeff Smith

I spent quite a bit of time on both McGuire/Dix and Devens, either returning from deployments or as a reservist. I also spent a good amount of time at Gillem in Atlanta. Fond memories of all. I'm glad to see Dix will be part of the new "superbase". Devens is basically a shell of what it once was, most if not all of the WWII barracks (wooden) are gone. It's basically just a little square area now. I do remember rail out by the ranges; we'd ocassionally have to stop live fire as freights passed due to noise impeding safety commands. Gillem had a lot of rail at one point, but into the early 2000's it was mostly inactive or disconnected, and even pulled out of some street crossings. There's a little airfield there, too, long disused.