• Amtrak to continue VRE operations until July 9

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

An Update on Keolis from VRE's CEO

I believe that it is important to keep you updated as we continue moving closer to the point when VRE transitions from Amtrak to Keolis.

With each passing day, we get a better picture of Keolis’ progress in preparing its employees for VRE operations. All of the Keolis employees are seasoned, experienced railroaders. However, they must become “qualified” on the VRE territory. This is a rigorous process that includes several roundtrips on the railroad to become intimately familiar with speed limits, station and signal locations, and all other physical characteristics. In addition to this extensive training, Keolis employees are also being trained in other areas of their jobs, such as CPR/First Aid/AED, VRE equipment, safety/security/terrorism, customer service, ticket inspection, and VRE programs and policies.

Over the last several months, VRE has been meeting monthly with the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), Keolis, Amtrak, CSX and Norfolk Southern As part of this process, we have developed several contingency plans in the event that Keolis is not ready to assume full service on June 28. Recently, we elected to implement one of those plans and are now finalizing arrangements. Under that plan, Amtrak will remain VRE’s operator for an additional two weeks. I would have preferred to delay making this decision so I could better assess Keolis’ readiness, but Amtrak imposed a deadline of June 9 for any contingency plan that involved Amtrak. In the interest of our riders, I opted to exercise the contingency plan by Amtrak’s deadline so that there would be no question that VRE trains will operate full service on June 28.

You should know that this is not my preferred option. Keolis is expected to be ready to operate much of, if not all of, the VRE service by June 28, and VRE prefers what is known as a “soft start” or “staggered start” of service on June 28, with the Fredericksburg Line operated by Keolis and the Manassas Line operated by Amtrak. The Fredericksburg line was considered the best line for Keolis to begin operations because Keolis has employed several engineers and conductors who have successfully and safely operated trains over the Fredericksburg Line during their careers, both with Amtrak and CSX. These crew members can use their experience in the Fredericksburg territory to coach their peers who are new to the Fredericksburg Line. This makes the Fredericksburg Line the obvious choice when looking at a staggered start.

From an operational standpoint, a staggered start is often a preferred start up method and one VRE first used 18 years ago when VRE began, with the Manassas Line starting in June and the Fredericksburg Line starting in July. This approach allows all parties, the FRA, CSX, Amtrak, and VRE riders, the opportunity to see Keolis’ employees in action and ease Keolis into full operation. I am still working towards the possibility of a staggered start.

As it stands now, Amtrak will continue to operate trains through Friday, July 9, and Keolis will assume the VRE operation on July 12. In the end, VRE remains committed to ensuring that your ride on our trains is the best and safest it can be because that’s a promise we keep to you every day
  by chucksc

And I am now lighting up the grill in order to cook my crow before I eat it!!!

Looks like status was misrepresented to me (which doesnt count) and possibly to the board (spent about a half hour outside a polling place talking to a board member I know and he assured me that they were good to go for the 28th)

I tender my apologies to the Amtrak guys on here.....
  by Averagejoe

Chucksc, no apologies needed. There is so much more I cannot post and many details that are not seen. But there has been and continues to be many untruths even in this latest train talk. The public has been mislead in many directions.

Amtrak did not first set a deadline for a contingency plan. The FRA did. VRE not having answers for the FRA was recommended by Amtrak a fallback date of July 9. They have a company to run and employees to consider also and can't wait for some "over the weekend" answer. There was no original "soft-start" or "staggered start" of service for Keolis. Amtrak's staggered service 18 years ago was for VRE when they were a new service that had never been tried or tested. Keolis commited to continuing an existing service and Amtrak ceases service on June 28. Period. Very gracious of Amtrak in my opinion since BY THE TRANSITION AGREEMENT, Keolis was to start service on June 28. Keolis has made its first failure in not starting on time. And Amtrak is saving not VRE or the operations board that made these bad decisions. They are protecting the state of Virginia and it's train passengers. They saw and stated this to the Virginia DOT months ago. And this is the company that VRE wants to sue or they contend has hindered their progress?

As I said before... there are many egos and political careers at stake that are trying to save grace in their mistakes. The people in charge of VRE service have many poor decisions. Keolis on the other hand is trying deperately to break into the American rail market. They expected a "turn-key" start up service and waited too long to hire and qualify. Should lose this then they would look unfavorable for the Maryland or California contracts they have recently bid or any future of high speed rail in this country.

I am not knocking anyone that went over to work. Especially someone who was furloughed. Any paycheck is better than no paycheck. But I don't know any 20-30 year employees that were furloughed. June 28 or July 12 will still not be a smooth transition. Be sure my passengers are taken care of!

BTW Chucksc, Reggie still owes me a cake!
  by chucksc

BTW Chucksc, Reggie still owes me a cake!Averagejoe

ROFL - I'll gladly tweak him for you -:)

I thought he'd do something for you guys as a going away present!

P.S. You can't believe how upset I am over this - especially being misled by someone who was pretty close to a neighbor and who I rode with and talked to for years......
The Board member is a politician and you have to take that with a grain of salt....
However, I suspect he may not have known the whole truth either....
Purt me down as a trusting fool!

I think its time for me to start my poison pen campaign -
FWIW my word is my bond and I am very upset over this.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Chuck, there's no need to apologize. We are all on here for a reason. Sometimes we all agree to disagree. As an Amtrak employee who works out of NY, I have seen first hand what was going on and I can honestly tell you that Amtrak wasn't trying to prevent Keolis from doing what they need to to take over. These problems are of Keolis's doing, and for the sake of the passengers, I certainly hope they provide a good service. VRE can say what they want about Amtrak, but it was Amtrak and its employees that made the VRE service what it is today . Of course Amtrak and its employees are bitter about this whole this whole event.
  by chucksc

trust me Budd, we passengers are pissed also or will be once the details actually get out about this....

It isn't just that they will be late - we could have kinda understood that - its just that we were told everything is wonderful and now we get a "hold on not so fast" :(
  by realtype

Averagejoe wrote:...Should lose this then they would look unfavorable for the Maryland or California contracts they have recently bid or any future of high speed rail in this country...
Keolis won't likely win the MARC contract given that Amtrak already operates 1 MARC line, and it would make sense for them to just operate all 3 especially since it would probably reduce the total number of train crew required. Plus MARC is more dependent on Amtrak than VRE is. Amtrak will probably go after the MARC contract very aggressively considering their recent loss of profitable contracts at other commuter agencies, and this VRE debacle.
  by chucksc

realtype wrote:
Averagejoe wrote:...Should lose this then they would look unfavorable for the Maryland or California contracts they have recently bid or any future of high speed rail in this country...
Keolis won't likely win the MARC contract given that Amtrak already operates 1 MARC line, and it would make sense for them to just operate all 3 especially since it would probably reduce the total number of train crew required. Plus MARC is more dependent on Amtrak than VRE is. Amtrak will probably go after the MARC contract very aggressively considering their recent loss of profitable contracts at other commuter agencies, and this VRE debacle.
Hopefully they don't use the same cost model for MARC that they used for VRE or you'll have Lionel Lines operating it for you! :-D