• DC area railfanning

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by BuddSilverliner269

Hello everyone. Im an Amtrak engineer and was wondering when I have my layovers in DC, what kind of freight action can I see? How many freighst a day go thru DC and where are the best places to see them?I know the Old Conrail Landover Line comes of the NEC at Landover but how much action goes thru there?How many freights a day go thru Silver Springs Md? I took the Metro Red Line a few days back and I see Marc provides service and Im guessing this is a CSX main as well? Forgive my ignorance of the DC area and lack of train knowledge of the area. Im only qualified on Amtraks NEC and not on any CSX lines nor do I run any MARC lines.I appreciate any help anyone provides.
  by roberttosh

Not sure how the economic slowdown has effected train counts, but the line that goes right through the downtown area by the Capital is CSXT's North-South I-95 mainline. Others probaly have a better idea of exact train counts, but in good times I'm guessing that line sees 14-18 freight trains per day. One good spot is the L'Enfant Plaza train station right down town and another is the Alexandria, VA Amtrak station. Just north of DC, the I-95 line joins the CSXT East-West main to Baltimore so train counts are quite a bit higher on that line just not sure where to railfan that line. Hope that helps some.
  by atsf sp

roberttosh wrote:One good spot is the L'Enfant Plaza train station right down town
I have to agree on this one. VRE and CSX go through here. Plus the Tropicana juice train goes through here. The Metro is a block away and so is the Washington Mall if that interests you. A lot of trains.
  by SurlyKnuckle

CSX uses the NEC between Landover & Bowie, to access the Popes Creek Secondary. The only traffic is coal for Morgantown and Chalk Point, with a few industries along the way. Trying to 'fan that line can be fruitless, as the jobs do different things depending on customer demand and other circumstances. With the economy so bad, most of the freight along that line has dried up. In the two months I worked that line I only saw mixed freight once, 6 cars to Chopp lumber. The LaPlata rock runner has been abolished forever (returning this spring) and in 2010, limestone trains for the two power plants will run down the Pope.

The Silver Spring station is along the fairly busy Metropolitan Sub, but for photography, the split-main can work against you trying to catch trains on both sides of METRO. If you can get out farther from the DC Metro area/suburbs, my favorite spots on the "Met" are around Gaithersburg, and farther up to Brunswick.

The other side of Union Station, the MET turns into the Capital sub to Baltimore, with the Alexandria Extension branching off at Hyattsville (JD tower), and down the former RF&P. They recently raised the main over the streets in the area on a 4000' concrete bridge. Despite being single track between JD and Chesapeake Jct, (and again from Chesapeake to the other side of the M street tunnel) the line is quite busy...it is after all the I-95 corridor route to Richmond and beyond...

Never fanned the Cap much, because it's not as accessible as the MET and is shorter. You get more train traffic, but I hate driving around on that Route 1 mess through Laurel, etc. Alot of foamers congregate at Riverdale and St Dennis, so I'm sure if there wasn't alot of trains, they wouldn't do it!

Hope this gives you a better idea about CSX in the area...
  by JMcDonald

Diff'rent strokes, but I'd say trying to catch some action on the Capitol Sub is not a bad idea, but I'm biased since the Cap is my "home" line :-) . Depending on the time of day and where you choose to visit, you'll most often see intermodal, unit autoracks, the Tropicana juice train, unit municipal waste, mixed freight, unit coal... and there are a number of nice spots along the Cap that are safe, convenient and offer good photo opportunities.

Presuming you don't have access to a car during your layover, you're likely going to be getting around using either Metro, MARC or VRE. If you're trying to get around by Metro, the places that have already been recommended in this thread are good and worth a trip to.

In most cases you're going to want to take the Metro to a location and then walk over to a convenient vantage point. There's actually a lot of places in the Metro system where CSX and Metro run parallel, and some stations provide nice views, but railfanning from Metro platforms is always a gamble, and you can forget about using a tripod on Metro property.

From out of Union Station Metro's red line runs north along the Metropolitan Sub most of the way from shortly after the NY Ave station up to and through Silver Spring and then picks up again from Twinbrook to Shady Grove. Silver Spring once used to be great but it's hard to railfan these days for the reasons SurlyKnuckle gave, but also because construction in that area over the past years has made vantage points for railfanning less easy to find.

At both Greenbelt and College Park on Metro's green line you can get off the Metro and go over to the nearby MARC stations that are on the Capitol Sub. Both afford some decent vantage points for photography. Greenbelt has nice views with old B&O color position light signals, but the station itself is a longish walk from any amenities.

Heading south out of town by Metro you get a nice view of Long Bridge on your left as you go into Virginia. Occasionally you'll get lucky and see a train on it. The Braddock Road Metro station is at the southern end of what used to be Potomac Yards. The yards are gone now, but there's still almost always a freight sitting there waiting to get clearance when I go by on the Metro. I haven't poked around there enough to determine if there are any good spots these days near Braddock Road station to get some pictures.

For railfanning the Virginia suburbs via public transporation Alexandria is probably best if you want to stay put for any appreciable time. The Amtrak station right next to the Metro station provides nice photo viewpoints and there are plenty of amenities nearby.

If you take MARC out of Union Station, you can stop off at a number of excellent railfanning spots. Headed out the Metropolitan Sub (MARC's "Brunswick Line"), some good places you can get to by MARC are Kensington, Gaithersburg (which also has a small RR museum), and Point of Rocks (where the Metropolitan Sub meets the Old Main Line). Further on down the line you can get to Brunswick by MARC, where there's generally something going on, but that's starting to get somewhat far afield from DC.

For the Capitol Sub side of town SurlyKnuckle already mentioned Riverdale and St. Denis. Both are on MARC's "Camden Line" and are two of my favorites. Riverdale is conveniently accessible by MARC and a comfortable spot to stay put a while, with amenities nearby. Depending on the day of the week and time of day you go, you can catch a pretty decent amount of freight traffic. You're likely to run into other railfans there, especially in the late afternoon.

College Park & Greenbelt I already mentioned above; both are accessible by MARC and Metro. North of Greenbelt the best next stop on MARC is probably Laurel. Laurel has a nice historic station building. The photo angles aren't bad and there's food and such in walking distance.

St. Denis is a few stations further up the Capital Sub and is superb for railfanning as it's at the junction of the Capital Sub and the Old Main Line, but ironically despite the fact that it is at a MARC station, it's actually hard to reach St. Denis by train--the only MARC trains out of DC stop in St. Denis after 5pm and there's no return to DC until the next AM. So it's likely going to be tough to get to (and from!) unless you have a car.

Hope this helps and that you find some good stuff trackside in the area.

James
  by BuddSilverliner269

Hi everyone, including jmcdonald. Thanks for all the info and good locations. Yes while im on my layover in DC, I will be car less so the Metro will most likely be my new best friend, unless I head down there on my days off.JM thanks for the PM, I may take you up on the offer...... :-D
  by njtmnrrbuff

How is Crystal City for photography during the PM rush in the spring and summer, in terms of shadows? I might be there Friday.
  by the-rail-life

Well I'm guessing that you already went since today is Sunday, but the sun on the Crystal City platform shouldn't be a problem. The whole platform is covered and faces east, so you'd be shooting in the shadows while the tracks are in full sun. I haven't done photography from there, but I catch the train there every day. You should be able to get some nice angles since the tracks bend away on the south end of the platform. But if you're there during the PM rush, that's not really going to give you a good approach shot unless there's a northbound train (freight, Amtrak, even a deadhead VRE if they got a late start on their return to Union).
  by njtmnrrbuff

How is the Franconia-Springfield VRE Platform for photography during the PM rush. I'm going to be in that area in a few weeks.

How good is the area by Potomac Yards Mall too? thanks