Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mkm4

JoeLIRR wrote:Any good reason that they cant be used today, maby some retrofitting?
just asking
It would cost more to refurbish them, then to buy new cars. They are not compatible withthe DE/M's and their systems were always breaking down.
  by de402

have used 3100 and an mp15 or something and use it as a spare trainset? maybe as a scoot when one of the DE/DM wonders puke?

they were not built by Kawasaki right? were these units successful as a test platform? or were they complete junk?

by DutchRailnut

The 10 C1 cars were built by Tokyu Car Company in Japan. most components are same as M1 parts.
the 10 cars consist of 5 marrierd pairs connected by drawbar and N2a Electric couplers at outside.
There is no acces from low platforms, control is 32 volt (m1 parts)
The trainline for locomotives is 32 volt with 64 volt control translators on the locomotives(FL9ac)
  by mkm4

de402 wrote:have used 3100 and an mp15 or something and use it as a spare trainset? maybe as a scoot when one of the DE/DM wonders puke?

they were not built by Kawasaki right? were these units successful as a test platform? or were they complete junk?
They were junk by the time they were retired. By the end they always had a mechanic on board to fix problems.

by JoeLIRR

if the C1's were that bad in the end, what posest them to go with the C3's wich were built on C1 technology and some more things added to make it a C3.

by davelirrider

It's my understanding that the mechanics were onboard to fix the issues with the FL-9's when they were having issues, not to fix the C-1's?

On that note, each of the DM's that runs electric into Penn has a mechanic on-board to this day. (I think there are only 3 - 4 runs daily)... but there is always a mechanic stationed in the last car of my daily Penn-Speonk train. Several times I have seem him climb into the trailing DM which was providing HEP when the lights/etc went out.

by UN Block

Hi Gang,

When the DMs were being planned, were they ALWAYS intended to be operated "pull-pull" and NOT in push-pull mode? I understand there's an issue with third rail gapping (funny how TWO MP54s never got gapped in the old days!).