Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by SooLineRob

Canadian Pacific has quite the variety in paint schemes ... if you like red paint!

Newest: GEvos in solid red, with Canadian Pacific Railway spelled out on the long hood.

Common: GE AC44CW "Beavers", CP Rail, CP Rail System, red & white SOO, solid red SOO, blue and yellow DM&E/IC&E, red/white/black ex-CP DM&E/IC&E.

Few and far between: orange & black ex-MILW SOO, CP Rail with the "Pac Man" logo, Canadian Pacific Railway w/beaver on an EMD.

Forum member "Engineer Spike" could provide the whereabouts of the rarest ... D&H lightning stripes.

Canadian Pacific doesn't have any "heritage" units; any SOO/D&H/DM&E/IC&E units have simply kept their original paint/road number.
  by atsf sp

SooLineRob wrote:CP Rail with the "Pac Man" logo
Too bad there are not more in this. Good classic paint.
  by SooLineRob

Another variant of the "plain red" CP Rail scheme on SD40-2's is the rear long hood having either black & white stripes with black road numbers, or red & white stripes with red road numbers.
  by .missthealcos.

The D&H GP38-2's painted in D&H gray and blue, are actually "heritage" units. They were repainted in this scheme by CP in the early/mid 90's When painted, they even had markings on them denoting this fact. Also, along with the FP9's/F9B painted in Tuscan & gray, CP GP38-2 3084 is painted in Tuscan & Gray(of course, it never would have actually carried this paint, the long gone now GP35's having been inspiration to paint it in this scheme), as a pinch hitter for the F-units.
  by mtuandrew

SooLineRob wrote:Canadian Pacific has quite the variety in paint schemes ... if you like red paint!

Common: red & white SOO

Few and far between: orange & black ex-MILW SOO
I haven't seen as many of the red & white/black lettered SOO locomotives recently. They're still relatively common, but CP seems to be largely repainting them to the spelled-out Canadian Pacific scheme. However, I do see a few 4-axle ex-MILW units running around the Twin Cities pretty regularly in their original orange and black (patched of course), at Newport, Shoreham Yards, Red Wing and sometimes by the Ford Plant.
  by SooLineRob

.missthealcos. wrote:The D&H GP38-2's painted in D&H gray and blue, are actually "heritage" units. They were repainted in this scheme by CP in the early/mid 90's When painted, they even had markings on them denoting this fact. Also, along with the FP9's/F9B painted in Tuscan & gray, CP GP38-2 3084 is painted in Tuscan & Gray(of course, it never would have actually carried this paint, the long gone now GP35's having been inspiration to paint it in this scheme), as a pinch hitter for the F-units.
I guess it depends on the definition of what a "heritage" unit is.

The examples cited above have always been either D&H or CP units. Just as some SOO SD60's have received new paint following collision damage/overhaul. I believed for a locomotive to be considered as having a "heritage" paint scheme meant the unit has been painted into the colors/name of a railroad which no longer exists nor operates. Since CP, SOO, D&H, and DM&E are still railroads which legally exist and operate, I based my definition on what the UP has been doing with their heritage "program" as well as to avoid the pitfalls of trying to define a "heritage" unit within Pan Am's roster.

What markings did the D&H GP38-2's have denoting them as "heritage" units? I've seen SOO units which have "Proud Member of CP Rail System" decals under the cab windows...
  by .missthealcos.

I'll have to find pics from back then, but they absolutley had markings. They were painted in I believe 1992. I think there were 4 done, 7303, 7304 , 7307, 7312. I don't know if all of them were "marked" but a least one was.
  by mtuandrew

Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob. I imagine only a few locomotives received this scheme, as the St. Lawrence and Hudson only operated for a few years before being returned to the CP fold.
  by umtrr-author

Although not a direct answer to the original question, there's an article on the CP Rail "image" and a bit about its sucessors in the latest issue of Classic Trains.

That "Pac Man" logo is formally called the "multimark."
  by SooLineRob

mtuandrew wrote:Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob.
Funny you mention the StL&H units! I just saw one last month leading a train ... add that one to the "rare CP paint job" file.
  by SooLineRob

.missthealcos. wrote:I'll have to find pics from back then, but they absolutley had markings. They were painted in I believe 1992. I think there were 4 done, 7303, 7304 , 7307, 7312. I don't know if all of them were "marked" but a least one was.
Bingo ... those units were repainted in 1992, now that you mention it. See Mr Diamond's post in the topic below :

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 83&t=54654

I'm sure those units have/had some kind of markings, and I'm curious as to what they actually said. Please reply with anything you find!
  by atsf sp

What years was STLH listed as a seperate entity?
  by mtuandrew

SooLineRob wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Another paint scheme I've seen, but only rarely: white StL&H lettering on a red background, similar to the CP Rail System paintjob.
Funny you mention the StL&H units! I just saw one last month leading a train ... add that one to the "rare CP paint job" file.
Very likely the same that I noted - I think it was the second unit on an eastbound train, on the NP line at Dale Street. Couldn't tell you whether it was a 4- or 6-axle unit, but it was definitely a -2 standard cab EMD.

As for StL&H corporate history, it took possession of CP Rail's eastern lines (including the D&H) on October 1, 1996, and was dissolved on January 1, 2001 after selling some lines and abandoning other unprofitable ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawren ... on_Railway
  by Ken V

SooLineRob wrote:What markings did the D&H GP38-2's have denoting them as "heritage" units? I've seen SOO units which have "Proud Member of CP Rail System" decals under the cab windows...
Something like this (on D&H 7312 - most recently repainted and designated a heritage unit in 2000)