• MBTA Loco #1073 Photos (Back Bay Wreck)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Other then #1073 I do not recall how much equipment was wrecked in this crash - were there two Amtrak F40s pulling the Night Owl north that morning? It is hard to believe that 19 years have passed since this major wreck. As bad as it was there were NO fatalities as far as I remember.
I kept the clippings and I still have them somewhere...MACTRAXX

Yes, they were indeed two Amtrak F40PHs pulling the Night Owl. 272 and 366. 272 was the lead engine and 366 was the engine behind it.
  by GP40MC1118

Coach 303 was retired from the Back Bay wreck in 1988.

D
  by MBTA1052

I was wondering how bad did 1073 get hit? understanding that the Amtrak train was going a good 80 to 91mph.
  by GP40MC1118

The 1073 took the brunt of the collision. It ended up on it side (based on a slide I've seen).
Likely had severe frame damage for starters. The 1036 reputedly its replacement as part
of the settlement between the T and Amtrak...

D
  by 3rdrail

StevieC48 wrote: the carnage
The carnage ? Thankfully, there wasn't even one fatality.
  by MACTRAXX

MBTA1052: The Night Owl derailed on the curve into Back Bay station at speed but the momentum-even as the derailed train was slowing down-propelled it into the rear
of the stopped MBTA train. I never found out the exact speed of the Night Owl at the time of impact but even if it had slowed down to,say 40 mph it would be strong enough to cause substantial damage as we saw in this wreck. MACTRAXX
  by sery2831

I am sure the loco that went up into the street was one of the Amtrak Locomotives not the 1073 as that ended up crushed on it's side. I know I have seen a photo of the loco from the street and you could see the Amtrak number board in the hole!
  by 130MM

There were a series of columns between Tracks 3 and 1. The 1073 was wrapped around the fifth column in the series after snapping off the first four.

DAW

(edited on 1/22/10 - I realize now that the columns were between Tracks 3 and 1)
MBTA1052 wrote:I was wondering how bad did 1073 get hit? understanding that the Amtrak train was going a good 80 to 91mph.
Last edited by 130MM on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by MBTA1052

What do you mean by the different columns and that 1073 was wrapped a another column.
  by diburning

MBTA1052 wrote:What do you mean by the different columns and that 1073 was wrapped a another column.
There were columns holding up the ceiling of the tunnel. The 1073 was thrown in such a way that it went through 4 of them and then didn't quite make it through the fifth one.
  by sery2831

Lets please take anymore personal conversations to PMs... Thanks!
  by Otto Vondrak

A few months ago there was an issue and some confusion over some posts in this thread. Part of the confusion stemmed from the way a post was worded, and one could imply that the poster was speaking from experience as a member of an official agency. That poster later recanted to me privately.

We pride ourselves on accurate reporting and recollections whenever possible. Not everyone chooses to reveal their true name here, but we ask that you represent yourself truthfully at all times. If you choose to represent yourself as a member or representative of an official agency, railroad company, or other operating authority, please do not get upset when we ask for credentials (in public or private). Such requests help protect all of us from misunderstandings that could escalate into serious matters.

Let's not dwell on the negative, and instead let's keep moving forward. If you have any questions or concerns about the operation of this site, please email or PM me directly.

-otto-
  by Martin Baumann

The full NTSB report with pictures is available on their website

http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scrip ... _railroads

I'm not sure if the above link will work correctly. If not go to

http://dotlibrary.specialcollection.net/

I.C.C. Historical Railroad Investigation Reports (1911-1994)

and click on the lower AMTRAK (the first is a derailment in Iowa)