• SmartTrip card

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

dpan wrote:I'm interested to know how it (and the Smartrip) would work on the MARC. Do you use it at one of the automated machines to buy a ticket? How about using it to pay for a monthly ticket?
It won't work on MARC or VRE. If MARC ever does get it to work with the system they'll probably allow you to buy tickets with it, but I don't really see the point since it would be just easier to use a debit/credit card or cash. I don't think any regional transit card in the country (other than passes) allows you to use commuter rail. For instance you can't ride Metro-North or NJ Transit with a Metrocard and you can't ride MBTA Commuter Rail with a Charlie Card.
  by jamesinclair

realtype wrote:
dpan wrote:I'm interested to know how it (and the Smartrip) would work on the MARC. Do you use it at one of the automated machines to buy a ticket? How about using it to pay for a monthly ticket?
It won't work on MARC or VRE. If MARC ever does get it to work with the system they'll probably allow you to buy tickets with it, but I don't really see the point since it would be just easier to use a debit/credit card or cash. I don't think any regional transit card in the country (other than passes) allows you to use commuter rail. For instance you can't ride Metro-North or NJ Transit with a Metrocard and you can't ride MBTA Commuter Rail with a Charlie Card.
I believe the translink card in the bay area works with commuter rail (Caltrain)
  by realtype

jamesinclair wrote:
realtype wrote:
I believe the translink card in the bay area works with commuter rail (Caltrain)
oh okay. Come to think of it there is the monthly Metro/MARC and Metro/VRE Transit Link Card (TLC) which allows for unlimited Metro and MARC rides, but you can't use it on buses and it's still a fixed-time length pass.