• LIRR freight question: Sterling Salt covered hoppers

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

In John Scala's "Diesels of the the Sunrise Trail", there is a picture of an SW-1001 drilling the hump in Sunnyside with a cut of Sterling Salt covered hoppers. What customer of the LIRR received salt, and what type of salt, such as road salt or table salt, was it?

by VCRail

Maybe not the only customer but there was a transloading site at Suffolk Materials (name?) in Setauket, which was a sand mining operation. I recall cuts of 10-12 cars on the two tracks (move towards Cargill in the latter years). This was road salt going to local highway departments.
  by dukeoq

Salt was off loaded at 8th Street for snow melt use by whoever bought it from the company there who received it.
It was placed on what was once called the "Feeder" track that no longer ran inder Vernon/Jackson to the float bridges.
It also went to Holban Yard to be delivered to what was formerly Anchor Coal, just west of Queens. The trestle there was ideal for dumping materials delivered in hopper cars.
One day one of these cars proved too heavy for the anciant trestle and it tipped over onto the ground, fifteen feet below.
There it stayed while being cut up for scrap and needless to say, the salt contract was over.
BTW: That salt was the highway variety, also.
JJ Earl

by Legio X

Is that former coal company the place with the elevated spur on 99 Avenue and 214 Street in Q.V., just west of the Q.V. team yard? It looks like they scrap cars there now. That whole strip scraps or repairs cars, and some are suspected of being chop shops at night.......

by jayrmli

I think there was a salt customer in Farmingdale as well. I remember seeing an old LIRR memo dug up entitled "Salt for Farmingdale." (This was before deregulation in the 1980's).

Apparently, this salt customer in LIC was requesting a double switch so he could take more product. The memo stated that their request was denied due to the Elkins Act, which would require all salt customers the railroad serviced to receive a double switch, and this was impossible with the other salt customer in Farmingdale.

Jay
  by dukeoq

Legio X
Yes. That is the place.
What goes on there now, I don't know.
JJ Earl