• Another great railroader passes - John Mullen

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Noel Weaver

Another great New Haven Railroader passes away.
I have received the sad news that John Mullen long retired engineer out of New York and Danbury passed away, I believe
Monday. John worked out of Grand Central Terminal and lived in Mount Vernon, I think, for many, many years but he
eventually moved to Connecticut and his final years were spent on one of the Danbury - New York jobs.
I worked with him many, many times and in fact owned several firing jobs with him and have fond memories of my days with him
on locomotive. He was an exceptionally good railroader and a great person.
Here is a link from the Waterbury Republican-American regarding arrangements and details:

http://www.rep-am.com/Obituaries/475568.txt
NEW MILFORD — John "Jack" Mullen died peacefully on March 29 at Candlewood Valley Care Center in New Milford. A first generation Irish-American, Jack was born on Nov. 23, 1918, in New York City, to John and Rose Mullen. A Naval veteran, he served in the Pacific during World War II. He worked for 43 years as a locomotive engineer for the New York-New Haven-Hartford Railroad. He was a self-taught wood worker and spent many of his retirement years making small chairs and doll cradles for his grand and great-granddaughters. A true animal lover, he enjoyed feeding the birds in his back yard and more recently, his canine visitors at Candlewood Valley.

Noel Weaver