• Buffalo News: Permanent home for WNYRHS equipment?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Mr.S

This appeared in Wednesday morning March 30, 2010 Buffalo news around 0700 hrs --for those who don't understand what 0700hrs is that's 7:00 am for civilians.--

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/29/1 ... d-for.html
I'm not sure if anyone here saw it.
This rail equipment and more is currently scattered in Hamburg, Orchard Park, North Collins, Lackawanna and Buffalo's East Side. But that's about to change. The Western New York Railway Historical Society, best known for its model train shows, plans to consolidate its equipment and railroad memorabilia into six buildings it has bought or is in the process of acquiring at a brownfield site in South Buffalo. The railway society signed a memorandum of understanding Monday to acquire 35 acres of the old Buffalo Color Corp. site for $490,000. The land and buildings were purchased at auction in 2008 for $300,000 by South Buffalo Development. "This is the end of a 30-year search for a permanent home for the museum. We're extremely excited about it," said Joseph Kocsis Jr., the society's president. "We've had a lot of false starts in the past, but here we've finally found a home."
[You must provide a fair use quote of the news story you are linking to! last warning! -omv]

Sorry I about the mistake. I thought today was Wednesday not Tuesday ,I guess I'm a day ahead of schedule..
Thanks for bearing with me.

omv, I wasn't sure where or how this would fit in,so I did my best! (I guess my best isn't good enough for some).In the future please be kind enough to assist, do not hinder with warnings it just creates problems everywhere!
Last edited by Mr.S on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Noel Weaver

Mr.S wrote:This appeared in Wednesday morning March 30, 2010 Buffalo news around 0700 hrs --for those who don't understand what 0700hrs is that's 7:00 am for civilians.--

Sorry I about the mistake. I thought today was Wednesday not Tuesday ,I guess I'm a day ahead of schedule..
This sounds like a lot of money involved to me. I wonder how they raised so much.
Noel Weaver
  by thebigham

Can you please edit your topic title to what this link is about?

I can't open the link.

What is this article about?
  by Lehighton_Man

Noel Weaver wrote:
Mr.S wrote:This appeared in Wednesday morning March 30, 2010 Buffalo news around 0700 hrs --for those who don't understand what 0700hrs is that's 7:00 am for civilians.--

This sounds like a lot of money involved to me. I wonder how they raised so much.
Noel Weaver
I was wondering the same thing too Noel. $490,000 for the property, Plus movement fees, and then another $750,000 for building redevelopement in the same area by South Buffalo Redevelopement Agency...
Its still great news that the museum has a place to house its equipment, and a potential spot to finally bring that I10a back alive... I'm just curious as how they obtained such funds, especially in astronomical amounts like so.
Sean
  by Otto Vondrak

thebigham wrote:Can you please edit your topic title to what this link is about?

I can't open the link.

What is this article about?
Which is why we insist that you post a fair use quote when you link to news stories!

-otto-
  by Matt Langworthy

Question: where is/was Buffalo Color Corp? (This is where the WNYRHS will apparently be located.)
  by med-train

Noel Weaver wrote:

Noel Weaver
I believe that there was a historic preservation grant attached to the property for the preservation of the Power Plant. A society such as the WNYRHS was needed to assure preservation of the power plant and to assure that the Plant would be kept open to the public. A natural situation for the Society.
  by Otto Vondrak

Nothing yet on WNYRHS' web site: http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/

Nice to know that there are steps being taken to consolidate the collection and make it available for public viewing.

-otto-
  by MarkT

Interesting. Buffalo Color is a dump to be polite. And I'm not sure any rail cars ever went into a building there, they just had a siding along South Park Ave that held 2-3 tank cars.
  by nydepot

Maybe before their bankruptcy but they historically were a large rail customer. You use a lot of chemicals when you are the largest indigo maker in the world, along with other colors.

Charles
MarkT wrote:Interesting. Buffalo Color is a dump to be polite. And I'm not sure any rail cars ever went into a building there, they just had a siding along South Park Ave that held 2-3 tank cars.
  by Otto Vondrak

MarkT wrote:Interesting. Buffalo Color is a dump to be polite.
It's a site. It's available. It has an active rail connection. This could be the springboard to development, if an interesting attraction comes to the area, some commercial development might follow.

In this day, you's takes what's you's cans gets.
  by MarkT

I guess I need to slightly mod my previous post. Seems Buff Color had a few facilities in that area. The one I was thinking of was at the end of Lee st across South Park. That would be within throwing distance of the RR bridges over the Buffalo river. I rode through there after work today and it looks like Berlin 1945. Every building is now gone compared to the Google map. Just one is left, which I assume to be the power building right up along side the CSX main. The only industry still there is PVS Chemicals which takes a lot of tankers, producing sulfuric acid. DEC signs are at both Buff Color locations advertising a brownfield clean-up
  by pablo

I have a few comments, as you might imagine. These are in no particular order.

1. First off, it's nice to see that the person starting the post here,"Mr. S", posted on the Buffalo News site under this article. His comments here seem neutral, on the News site, less so. I find that interesting.

2. I assume that the WNYRHS had a press release of some sorts, or otherwise got in contact with the Buffalo News for this story.

2a. Unfortunate, then, that someone at the historical society is still silly enough to be spreading the word that excursions will be happening to major cities in the region.

2b. Also unfortunate that someone is still silly enough to be saying they are coming to Jamestown.

3. Did anyone else think the dollars didn't add up? How much was the site purchased for originally, and how much did the society pay recently?

So, on the most positive of notes, this is clearly a step in the right direction. If the society is serious about getting education involved and really doing things in a way that can bring money in (grants) and getting the message out, I'm going to help. I know what can be done to get this going.

If the society is serious, count me in. Where are they here?

Dave Becker
  by SimTrains

I don't know. I have collections of news articles going back to before i was born (1983). Every few years or so the WNYRHS has a new site picked out and all the work is being done and its only a matter of time before they move into site xyz. I can scan them all and show you at least 4 i am looking at right now. I'll believe it when I actually see the PRR 4483 being spotted by NS at this new location. When that day comes, sign me up, i'll devote every spare minute to the project. Until then, we can all keep on dreaming!