Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by speedbird

Unmentioned is that the new M service will travel over a little-used portion of the Chrystie Street Connection that hasn't seen service in over 30 years.

The 1972 map (here) shows the K using the connection; a KK service also used it for a time.
  by railfan365

So instead of discontinuing the M line and extending the V to replace the part between Essex Street and Metropolitan Avenue, discontinue the V and have the M replace the V instead of travelling south of Essex Street.

That sounds a bit stupid to me - keeping the service change the same, but mollifying people by changing what it's called.
  by Paul1705

I assume the R-46s now on the V will have to go elsewhere, as I don't think 75-foot cars will fit any where on what was the BMT Eastern Division. With the closure of the W line, however, there should be a surplus of B division cars, and there should be enough R-160s to go around.
  by M&Eman

This change in nomenclature adds expenses because they need all-new rollsigns with orange Ms now. The way they originally did it, no letter would change color.
  by Kamen Rider

This is why the stopped buying cars with roll signs to begin with.
  by Head-end View

Kamen, you might be right, but I think they should have kept the larger color-coded car-end signs. (Maybe an electronic version) They were much clearer than the new small red signs, which defeat the whole purpose of having color coded routes. :(
  by oknazevad

Head-end View wrote:Kamen, you might be right, but I think they should have kept the larger color-coded car-end signs. (Maybe an electronic version) They were much clearer than the new small red signs, which defeat the whole purpose of having color coded routes. :(
Absolutely. The all red LEDs are too small to be effectively seen at a distance, and all routes wind up looking alike.
  by Allan

Dylanchris73 wrote:So what would be the new M route?

The M would travel as normal from Metropolitan Avenue to Essex Street, then divert via the Christie Street Connection and connect with the northbound F line track just south of Broadway-Lafayette. It would then continue up the F line and follow the current V line via the 53rd St tunnel (stopping at 5th Avenue and Lexington Avenue) to the Queens Blvd line and terminate at 71st St-Forest Hills.
  by Aces

I think that they are still eliminating the M from Bay Parkway into lower Manhattan which means more riders for the already overcrowded D trains. The D is frequently standing room only on week nights and weekend nights.
  by Passenger

Is the new service equally frequent at the Metropolitan Avenue end?
  by RWERN

Aces wrote:I think that they are still eliminating the M from Bay Parkway into lower Manhattan which means more riders for the already overcrowded D trains. The D is frequently standing room only on week nights and weekend nights.
Perhaps they will consider shifting the J or Z to fill that role.
  by Kamen Rider

the whole point was to save money. extending the J or Z will not save any money

Not saying I live the idea, but that it it's logical.