• New Locomotive for FGLK

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

Mr.S wrote:Has anyone here ever consider how the Finger Lakes Railway would look with ALCO's / MLW's instead of GE's and EMD's?
Sure, Alcos and MLWs would look great in cigar bands... but the reality of the FGLK is an operation powered by GEs and EMDs. I don't foresee that changing...
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Lehighton_Man

Certainly eating my own words here, but for FGLK to dump it's current GE / EMD roster in favor of Alco / MLW, there would ethier have to be a change in management, or, a catastropic failure to the ENTIRE GE fleet; and only way that is possible, is through sabotoge. But even then, they still would be fixed to the best of the FGLK's abilities, and ran until unoperability is iminent. Further so, he (Mr. Smith) would just buy new units to replace what he lost.
But hey, like my earlier comments, and from others, a change in builder for power comes from the railfan's eyes, where-as management considers what is easiest on the check book, and what they have the skill and parts to fix. In dreamland, it'd be awesome. In reality, not even feasible.
  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:Certainly eating my own words here, but for FGLK to dump it's current GE / EMD roster in favor of Alco / MLW, there would ethier have to be a change in management, or, a catastropic failure to the ENTIRE GE fleet; and only way that is possible, is through sabotoge. But even then, they still would be fixed to the best of the FGLK's abilities, and ran until unoperability is iminent. Further so, he (Mr. Smith) would just buy new units to replace what he lost.
But hey, like my earlier comments, and from others, a change in builder for power comes from the railfan's eyes, where-as management considers what is easiest on the check book, and what they have the skill and parts to fix. In dreamland, it'd be awesome. In reality, not even feasible.
Without rancor, I'm glad to see you realize the difference between what you want and what is happening on the FGLK. Granted, I favor Alcos but I'll never turn my nose up at FGLK's GE and EMD fleet. Mike Smith and his employees are running a superb shortline. If you have the time, I'd strongly recommend you chase and/or ride the FGLK. I promise you'll enjoy the experience.
  by Lehighton_Man

Sometimes Matt, all it takes is a bump on the head to knock sone common sense in. ;)
As for riding fingerlakes, I already have, many times, and I know a good number of the FGLK employee's. Great bunch of men and women who keep the lightning stripes rolling across new York, albiet, at 15-20mph, rather it's 1950's counterpart at 65-70. :)
  by sd80mac

Lehighton_Man wrote:Certainly eating my own words here, but for FGLK to dump it's current GE / EMD roster in favor of Alco / MLW,
no... they will be buying entire fleet of sd80mac from NS and CSX and paint them in their original paint for Hertiage... and one unit of these hybird unit for army depot...

oh wait ... my crystal ball isn't working at the moment.... :-D
  by Lehighton_Man

Hmm.. Lets see.. Hi-ad trucks, 4000+ hp... about 300T locomotive... On the Canandaigua branch... That'd be a sight to see. ;)
  by Matt Langworthy

Lehighton_Man wrote:Hmm.. Lets see.. Hi-ad trucks, 4000+ hp... about 300T locomotive... On the Canandaigua branch... That'd be a sight to see. ;)
...and given what LVRR325 said, very unlikely.
  by lvrr325

Considering that first curve entering the Canandaigua branch, I think that would be the shortest-lived experiment ever. It would last the length of time for the SD80 to roll the outer rail and put it on the ground.

As noted in the W&C thread, there aren't enough good Alcos on the market for them to replace the current fleet even if they wanted to. The GEs can be had cheaper than it would cost to fix the dead one that sits in Geneva, apparently. Or did they finally fix it?
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Considering that first curve entering the Canandaigua branch, I think that would be the shortest-lived experiment ever. It would last the length of time for the SD80 to roll the outer rail and put it on the ground.

As noted in the W&C thread, there aren't enough good Alcos on the market for them to replace the current fleet even if they wanted to. The GEs can be had cheaper than it would cost to fix the dead one that sits in Geneva, apparently. Or did they finally fix it?

2304 has been up and working for for about 2 years now?
  by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:Considering that first curve entering the Canandaigua branch, I think that would be the shortest-lived experiment ever. It would last the length of time for the SD80 to roll the outer rail and put it on the ground.

2304 has been up and working for for about 2 years now?
going on one year..
2304 was OOS through 2007 and 2008..she was returned to service in June 2009.

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/FGLK/

Scot
  by sd80mac

I was only joking... I know that they will never go to Canandaigua or Victor.... not even Clifton Spring...
  by Mr.S

Isn't The FINGER LAKES RAILWAY a joint venture between FARMRAIL and GENESSE and WYOMING RR and ? third party ?
  by scottychaos

Mr.S wrote:Isn't The FINGER LAKES RAILWAY a joint venture between FARMRAIL and GENESSE and WYOMING RR and ? third party ?
yes.
OWNERSHIP: Jointly by: FarmRail Systems, Inc., Transport Group and Genesee & Wyoming Industries, Inc.

Scot
  by Mr.S

I thought so . Thank you..
  by Lehighton_Man

sd80mac wrote:
I was only joking... I know that they will never go to Canandaigua or Victor.... not even Clifton Spring...
As well as I. Without doubt, that would be the most stupid decision by any shortline, unless your a massive conglomerate, such as G&W corp. I was harassing sd80mac on his comment, no harm done. :)