• What paint scheme would you like on the FGLK?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Awol

Thinking about heritage and the such, what paint job do you think FGLK should use next? There are a couple of their locomotives running around in P&W candy corn colors and a blue/yellow hideous beast, not to mention the "new" locomotives coming in Santa Fe blue/yellow...I'm thinking PC black!
  by Mr.S

Awol wrote:Thinking about heritage and the such, what paint job do you think FGLK should use next? There are a couple of their locomotives running around in P&W candy corn colors and a blue/yellow hideous beast, not to mention the "new" locomotives coming in Santa Fe blue/yellow...I'm thinking PC black!
Penn Central black, that's too much like NS has now. I would like to see the Finger Lakes Railway alternate between the NYC's lightening stripe, L.V. RR's Cornell Red and PRR 's Brunswick green with the single yellow stripe. I believe That the FGLK Ry, locomotives would look superb running in those colors on its trackage. However, one has to take in account of the maintenance cost here.
  by Otto Vondrak

Awol wrote:Thinking about heritage and the such, what paint job do you think FGLK should use next?
Since no one here has any say in the matter, I don't see what the point of this question is... Unless you are a representative of FGLK yourself?

-otto-
  by scottychaos

I really like the NYC lightning stripes..
Would they work with other colors?

Just for fun:

A nod to PRR and NYC Greens..
not as dark as Brunswick Green, but a nice dark green:

A deep Blue..(dont want it to look like CR blue)

A crimson/maroon Red:

A brighter Red..more along the lines of LV Red:

Orange? looks weird at first..dont see a lot of Orange in the east..except for G&W orange of course!
(G&W is part owner in the FGLK)
(I dont really like the Orange..but im posting it anyway)

and since I had the layer made anyway..a lighter Grey:

Personally I like the Dark Green the best..looks classy IMO..
and it goes with both NYC and PRR heritage..
I like the really dark blue too..

perhaps just a hint of color instead of the Dark neutral grey of the NYC scheme..
not too radical, but just replace the grey with a hint of dark color..

just some random thoughts..

Of course I also like the standard FGLK-NYC scheme just like it is! :P
No complaints there..
its a classic scheme, fits the units well, and really pays tribute to the NYC, which makes up the majority of the FGLK mainline..

Scot
  by Awol

Does it really matter if anyone has a say in the matter? The point of the question is to discuss a topic on a discussion forum. What could possibly be the issue with getting opinions of others? Everyone has there hopes and wishes, some a little more unattainable than others. Maybe, just maybe if a "representative" of the FGLK stumbles across this discussion, might it not spark some thought into his or hers mind?
  by Otto Vondrak

Awol wrote:Does it really matter if anyone has a say in the matter? The point of the question is to discuss a topic on a discussion forum. What could possibly be the issue with getting opinions of others? Everyone has there hopes and wishes, some a little more unattainable than others. Maybe, just maybe if a "representative" of the FGLK stumbles across this discussion, might it not spark some thought into his or hers mind?
I reject the invitation to join your shared hallucination. This is RAILROAD.NET, not the Rainbow Connection.

-otto-
  by Matt Langworthy

Nice job on the photoshopping, Scot! I also think the standard NYC-inspired scheme suits FGLK quite well, but I certainly won't object to the U23B in the red LV-inspired scheme or #1989(?) wearing CR's dress blue. Interestingly enough, there are at least 2 B23-7s on the FGLk that already wear orange- the ex-P&W units.
  by scottychaos

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Awol wrote:Does it really matter if anyone has a say in the matter? The point of the question is to discuss a topic on a discussion forum. What could possibly be the issue with getting opinions of others? Everyone has there hopes and wishes, some a little more unattainable than others. Maybe, just maybe if a "representative" of the FGLK stumbles across this discussion, might it not spark some thought into his or hers mind?
I reject the invitation to join your shared hallucination. This is RAILROAD.NET, not the Rainbow Connection.

-otto-
Otto,
you have our permission to not participate.
feel free to not have any fun.
thanks,
Scot
  by scottychaos

Matt Langworthy wrote: Nice job on the photoshopping, Scot! I also think the standard NYC-inspired scheme suits FGLK quite well, but I certainly won't object to the U23B in the red LV-inspired scheme or #1989(?) wearing CR's dress blue. Interestingly enough, there are at least 2 B23-7s on the FGLk that already wear orange- the ex-P&W units.
thanks..
actually, I dont think I really like any of them *better* than the real actual scheme! ;)
I dont think the fancy colors *quite* work with the lightning stripes..
but this thread made me think "what would it look like?"..and I have the capability to find out! ;)
so I did..

I wouldnt mind 1989 remaining in CR blue either..but I would prefer the full scheme!
(which they probably cant do, because CR technically still exists..not that they would want to anyway..)

I imagine FGLK will continue to simply paint units in the "standard" NYC-inspired scheme..
which works for me! :P

Scot
  by scottychaos

Personally, I like threads like this! :P
its just harmless fun..we have done it a lot before..
here is one im particularily proud of! ;)
scottychaos wrote: Image

based on the actual Despatch Shops #15, East Rochester, NY.

Scot
That would have looked SO much better than the real PC scheme!

And the real railroads dont really care what we are doing..its just harmless chatter..
although *sometimes* this kind of speculation leads to REAL paintschemes!
I helped FGLK with some photoshop renderings, drawings and ideas when they were planning the "LV heritage" scheme for the real 2201..
which IMO ended up looking awesome!
even though its not based on anything close to a real LV U23B scheme..(which was actually done intentionally,
because they didnt want to "steal the thunder" of the Sayre Historical Society and their real LV U23B, that is supposed to be coming to the Sayre museum.)
(it that ever happens. :( )
If it does, they plan to repaint theirs in the *real* LV scheme..so Finger Lakes chose to use the older LV 3-stripe scheme,
which never appeard on a U-boat of course..but thats ok..because fictional schemes can be fun..
especially when fictional schemes turn into real schemes:

Someone in the UP art department spent weeks/months doing this when the UP "heritage" engine program was being developed..
thats no different than what we are doing here..
(except we dont get paid for it..and our musings will probably never become reality..although you never know!)

Scot
  by Otto Vondrak

scottychaos wrote:Personally, I like threads like this! :P
Please don't stick your tongue out at me.
Someone in the UP art department spent weeks/months doing this when the UP "heritage" engine program was being developed.
The UP heritage designs were done entirely by outside vendors, not by any internal UP department.
...Our musings will probably never become reality..although you never know!
It's clear you all are big fans of the FGLK and are interested in its continued operation. Mike Smith, president of FGLK is an NYC fan... The LV project was a special "one shot," and I dont think it meant to open the door to other "experimental" paint schemes. I think it's safe to say that if any new paint jobs are coming down the pike, they will be the usual NYC-inspired paint scheme that the company has been using all along.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to pull the wings off some butterflies.

-otto-
  by scottychaos

Otto Vondrak wrote:
scottychaos wrote:Personally, I like threads like this! :P
Please don't stick your tongue out at me.
-otto-
Otto,
That actually wasnt directed at you..
my post was being written before, during, and after your shorter post which appears above it..
which makes it look like my post is in reply to yours, but it isnt..
when I went to post my reply I got one of those "another post has been made" notices..
I didnt even see your post until after I made mine..
so its nothing personal, not directed at you at all..

Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

Otto Vondrak wrote:You two have fun playing together.

-dreamsmasher
Respectfully, Otto, It's just meant to be a fun "what if" exercise. I have no objections to the way the FGLK conducts its operations in the real world. IMO, Scot's photoshopping is no different than creating one's own fictional model RR. It's just fun escapism... nothing more.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Otto Vondrak

Matt Langworthy wrote:Respectfully, Otto, It's just meant to be a fun "what if" exercise.
STOP HAVING FUN!!! What's wrong with you guys? Get a hobby.

-rainmaker