Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

re

by Jeffrey Rosen

As far as them being used on specific lines, I do not ever remember seeing any on any of the diesel lines although I understand the prototype (the car presently at Riverhead) was intended for diesel use.
As JJ stated only MP54's (and I guess MP41's) only went to Flatbush and since some lines are Bklyn oriented and some Penn oriented some lines had more of them than others. I remember in the 60's Hempstead was basically a Flatbush line so there were very few double deckers, those few being on the rush hour trains to Penn. I do remember as a kid, my grandmother taking us on a special all doubledecker train from Hempstead to the Worlds Fair. The train changed direction in Woodside to go on the Port Washington Line and I assume they used the double deckers since they were the only trains at the time where you didn't have to reverse the seats. (That is only my assumption, there might have been other reasons)
I also remember them being very abundant on the Babylon Branch, on almost every train. I distinctly remember as a kid always seeing them laid up on the siding between Merrick & Freeport just W/O the Meadowbrook Pkway.
As far as Paul's comments as to why he liked the lower compartments, my wife still doesn't know the real reason I like the lower level on today's tri-level cars, especially in the summer.

by NIMBYkiller

I take it there was a switch back then to get trains from the main to PW lines, b/c now there is none until west of Woodside.

Too bad LIRR doesn't do that now for Shea/Arthur Ash games. The station there could definately hold the extra trains. I think it's got room for about 5 trains without blocking the 2 PW line tracks.

by Dave Keller

"WIN" tower was located on the south side of the Main Line tracks between 69th Street and 48th Avenue.

In front of the tower were, from south to north, Main Line tracks #4, #2, #1 and #3 as well as Port Wash tracks #2 and #1. The Port Wash. tracks were the northern two tracks and while they originated west of Woodside Avenue and curved off just east of "WIN" tower, there were six (6) crossovers that connected all the Main Line tracks to each other and two (2) crossovers (one eastbound, one westbound) prior to 1951 and one (1) crossover eastbound after 1951, that connected the Main Line #3 track with Port Wash track #2.

A train could head westbound along Main Line track #3 and technically be able to clear the crossover switch, change direction and head east on the Port Wash #2 track, all in view of the operator at "WIN" tower.

This eastbound connecting crossover, BTW, was located directly above 70th Street.

Dave Keller