• Harpers Ferry Bridge Fire

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Loco421

Harper's Ferry Bridge caught fire today around 7:30pm... Train traffic halted in the area, MARC service affected. Any news?
  by realtype

Loco421 wrote:Harper's Ferry Bridge caught fire today around 7:30pm... Train traffic halted in the area, MARC service affected. Any news?
Yeah I got an email alert about that. 879 and 883 are terminated at Brunswick with alternative transportation to be provided to West Virginia. Friday service is still unknown. Wonder how the bridge caught on fire. Pretty strange.
  by Jack212

The rail grinder was operating on the bridge earlier in the day.
  by ojito

About a few days, or maybe the week earlier, my fiance and I saw an eastbound train collide with a vehicle at the crossing just west of the Harper's station. It was nighttime, but looked like a truck of some sort, stalled on the tracks. Train wasn't going too fast but truck went head-over-heels and ended up on the north side of the crossing, cut off from the rescue vehicles by the train which stopped with the engine just past the station. Wasn't much we could do and we left before they pulled the train away so didn't get to see much more. Haven't found this anywhere in the news, anyone else have more info on this one? When I saw the subject of the post, I figured this was what it was about, but apparently not. Pretty freaky thing to witness eh...