• High Bridge Station asbestos removal work

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken W2KB

For the past week or two, a contractor has been working at the High Bridge Station building, apparantly (from the equipment and warning notices) removing asbestos from the lower level. Since I leave before the contractor is there, and return after they have left, I've not had an opportunty to inquire.

The station building has not been open for 15 or 20 years, so I'm curious as to why this activity. Anyone heard of any plans for the building?
  by SledDawg

I am curious about this as well. Hard to imagine they would actually open the station, there's so little traffic. Maybe going to rent it out? But, there's already a new Mexican restaurant under constructoin in the old freight house across the tracks...

Also, I live in HB near "downtown" (such as it is.... :-D ) and while out in the yard Saturday I'm sure I heard a train horn down by the station. Very unusual on a weekend. Can any NJT folks shed any light on the happenings there?

by Ken W2KB

Train horn on Saturday must have been a MOW operation. No freight left beyond somewhat east of White House, other than the rare URHS equipment moves at Lebanon.

As you would likely know, there has been a restaurant for years in the freight house, this is probably the 3rd or 4th version now under way.

I would estimate that about 75 or so passengers use High Bridge each way daily. No where near enough for a staffed station like Somerville, Dunellen, etc. but if the town wanted, it could have it open as a shelter during commuting hours, like is done by Raritan.

It could be a simple as the station was next on the list for cleanup, I suppose. There is essentially no parking for a business to opening there.

by thebigc

Ken W2KB wrote:Train horn on Saturday must have been a MOW operation. No freight left beyond somewhat east of White House, other than the rare URHS equipment moves at Lebanon.
Does Rudl Fencing get service anymore? They're located just West of High Bridge. Used to get lumber flats. No more, I guess.

by Ken W2KB

I don't think they do. 3 or 4 years ago I saw the spur and it looked very rusted. The lumberyard that closed at Annandale two or three years ago was the farthest west customer by then.
  by gravelyfan

SledDawg wrote:Also, I live in HB near "downtown" (such as it is.... :-D ) and while out in the yard Saturday I'm sure I heard a train horn down by the station. Very unusual on a weekend. Can any NJT folks shed any light on the happenings there?

I believe Jersey Central NRHS operated their Santa Train (using NJT equipment) on Saturday, perhaps it traveled out to High Bridge?

by nick11a

Ken W2KB wrote:I don't think they do. 3 or 4 years ago I saw the spur and it looked very rusted. The lumberyard that closed at Annandale two or three years ago was the farthest west customer by then.
Really, they closed the lumberyard down huh? As a kid, my aunt and uncle lived in the former Annandale Hotel directly next to the station/yard and on weekends, we would run around the boxcar and play on the loading platform. Not the smartest thing to do, but we were kids after all... :-D

I believe they got weekly service. Wish they still did. That'd be a fun train to track down and photograph.

by Ken W2KB

It was at least weekly. Maybe more during the last couple of years with nearby construction booms. I suspect that the proliferaction of Home Depots and Loews in the area did them in.
  by SledDawg

I hiked down the tracks past the Buffalo Hollow Road bridge (many photos in CNJ books were taken from that bridge....) about a year and a half ago. There was a very rusty gondola on that Rudl siding that looked like it hadn't moved in years.

Unclear whether the Annandale lumber (Warren Lumber & Millwork?) yard is actually closed, or what. I think they may have moved major operations to P'Burg. Certainly no rail service in a couple years - the tracks were paved over a while ago. But I think I still see a truck or two there once in a while. I'll have to stop by and check - always seemed like it was more of a professional clientle than Home Depot.

An OT aside: over the summer I redid the chains and pullies on my old sash windows. The house was built around 1910. The pullies are original brass, and after scraping off years of paint I discoverd "Andersen" cast into the sides! Wow. Better: When I removed the retainer wood strips to get at the chain weights I discovered the strips all had "Warren Lumber & Millwork" stenciled on 'em! And I bet they had been delivered by rail! CNJ in the house!

by kilroy

As Gravely Fan noted, the JCRHS Santa Train ran to High Bridge on Saturday, 12/11. There were two trips, which would have made High Bridge about 10 AM and 2 PM.

by TheBaran

SledDawg...a little more O/T...

Sears Roebuck, during the early 1900s thru the mid-1920s (IIRC) sold pre-fabricated houses from their catalogue. Some of the house catalogues are posted on-line. The kit included everything to build the house, except the foundation. Every piece had marked identification for assembly. One of the requirements for purchase was that you had to be located near a train station/freight house as the kits were shipped via rail. Many of these houses exist today, clustered around train stations (or what were train stations). A look into the attic or basement will determine if a house is a Sears kit, as the exposed beams will be marked.

by F40

What is the reason for removing asbestos?

by JLo

Good question. Asbestos in airborne form is deadly to humans. The fibers are breathed in and attach themselves to the lining of the lungs. Various diseases, including several types of cancers results. In some cases, the fibers actually create a lining of the lungs that prevents oxygen from passing into the bloodstream.

Now, there is some dispute whether removing it is the right thing to do, since it is safe in non-airborne form. The argument has been that removal causes more risk than leaving it as is when it is not flaking or is encased in walls or ceilings. The asbestos removal business is big business, though, so it will continue to occur, regardless of scientific merit.