• HO brass traction models from the 60s

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jaystreetcrr

I was at a local flea market in Brooklyn and much to my shock, one of the vendors had 7 brass traction models for sale. He knew nothing about them and was asking $40 each for them. From what I could tell they seemed to be 60s vintage Japanese imports (stamped "Japan" on bottom but no manufacturer I could see.) No original boxes, a little dinged up, some tarnish, and so-so paint jobs on two of them. Some looked to be interurbans (Pacific Electric?) and the others were two truck streetcars. HO traction isn't my thing but I ended up getting one, a Brilliner I think, for $30. I got the man's card and told him I"d try and hook him up with a buyer. He's older, not interested in Ebay, and I knew he'd never find a buyer for such unusual niche items. I just want to see such cool vintage models get in the hands of someone who will appreciate them. Maybe this should be in For Sale but I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about these type of models...looked online and didn't find much. Thanks...John
  by graftonterminalrr

If you're talking brass traction models, there's a 90% or better chance that it's Ed Suydam & Co.

Sounds like you found the motherlode.
  by Rick Abramson

I remember how beautiful the Suydam models were; especially the CNS&M and PE cars.
  by trainwayne1

There are several Suydam brass pieces on Ebay right now ranging in price from $66 to $339. Also quite a few building kits, which are somewhat primative by todays standards, but in their time were excellent kits, and with extra detailing could be very useable kits today.
  by jaystreetcrr

I'm not sure if there's any CSS&SB stuff, based on a few minutes of looking over the models and my sketchy traction knowledge. That line had mostly big interurbans and freight motors, yes? I'll take another look but the vendor won't be at the flea market this weekend and doesn't want to unpack all his stuff from big boxes so I can stop by and look.
I think the one I got is a Brill Master Unit, and some research shows these were imported by Fairfield. I got mine to "run" but it's an open frame motor driving a convoluted bunch of gears through one truck...not very smooth. I'll repower it if I ever get serious about it...again, I haven't been into HO traction and if I was I'd like to get stuff that ran in Brooklyn or the NYC area.