• New Mass Coaster Railroad? (NOT Mass Coastal)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by atlantis

That's right ritrains and masscoastalfan! As you saw on my signature profile, i stand ready to eat a jelly donut with tomato sauce once the trains start running, that is. I made that bet with several listeners on my radio program in P-town who will be there to witness it in case the trains start running. You can leave a PM, but I also spoke with one of the owners of Cape Rail last year about it, who said that if they do get the go-ahead in 2010, he would dip the donut in the sauce for me.
This is one case where I hope I'm wrong and that finally we get the rail service that's been long overdue here. A little bad-tasting culinary combination is a small price to pay,IMHO, for a rail service that will be a betterment for the comunity.
  by masscoastalfan

NH2060 wrote:Regarding equipment, what happened to the idea of using some of METRA's old gallery cars?
The idea was dropped for 2 main reason that i know of. One, was clearance worries. Amtrak was nervious about them fitting under the NEC wires and there is an overpass in sandwich that the cars cant fit under. Also, the cars aren't compatable with high level platforms.
  by MickD

Well the work on the bridge has started and no suggestion from
the press,the state,CCRTA or Mass Coastal that any kind of rail alternative
across the canal there might have been during the rehab is gonna' happen.
Although it wouldn't surprise me to see service from Wareham sometime soon.
  by craven

MassBayRRE is scheduling something on the Cape... No details..All they will say is save Saturday, May 15th ....
  by masscoastalfan

The trip will be Middleborough to hyannis to buzzards bay to N. falmouth to middleborough. The order of going to hyannis anf falmouth may be switched. The trip will include several photo stops. The train will most likely use Cape Cod Central'sdinner train set because the scenic train has no heat. My guess tickets will be between 49 and 60 bucks. The train will most likely be powered by MC 2008 and 2009 seeing as they need cab signals to get to middleborough. Also, they will need two engines because there is no run around on the falmouth line.
  by MickD

I'd love to see a Hyannis to New Bedford trip once Mass Coastal gets the rights to
the the line down there.
  by masscoastalfan

Won't happen. Csx wil most likely not let a passenger train over their tracks.
  by atsf sp

masscoastalfan wrote:Won't happen. Csx wil most likely not let a passenger train over their tracks.
IT is the states tracks, not csx. And when MC takes over, they could do that.
  by masscoastalfan

The state did not purchase CSX's track from middleborough to cotley jct. they are still owned by csx. MC will own cotley jct to New Bedford. not Middleborough to New BEdford.
  by ritrains

With regard to track ownership, two state entities own all of the track from Attleboro to Hyannis; CSX has no ownership of any section between Cotley and Middleboro. Also, CSX has only freight operating rights over this line of railroad and has no say, other than dispatching, regarding any passenger trains operating between Attleboro, Cotley and Middleboro. This is not a matter of conjecture but rather a matter of law and STB rulemaking.
  by PAR381

Also not to mention they will need more locomotives for the start up of the New Bedford/ Fall River operation later this year. More 92 day inspections and the like.
  by MickD

I was only suggesting an occasional excursion with Cape Cod Central equipment.
Any regular service to NB/FR would be under MBTA umbrella. Correct?
New Bedford though does have a pretty good 3 Day Folk Festival over the Fourth Of July
That mightdraw some interest. They run the Scallop and Swan Festival trainsm
and that festival in NB draws some quality national acts,not to mention food and
merchandise vendors.
  by GP40MC1118

CSX still owns Attleboro to Cotely to Middleboro, not the state - at least for now.

The line between Cotely Jct and Middleboro was given to the MBTA when the Old Colony started up,
but was given back to Conrail/CSX after a few years. And as far as I know, its not part of the
NB/FR project or this latest deal.

If NB/FR ever gets built, the portion between Cotely Jct and Weir Jct will go to the MBTA, but the
rest of it to Attleboro stays with CSX.

As far as excursions to NB or FR, it doubt it due to track conditions. Then there's the issue of
the 5MPH bridges in NB.

And there's no place to unload passengers in NB Yard, unless you shifted towards the sludge
storage lead to use a small tarred crossing in the yard. It's that or either rebuild the track
south to the waterfront. It's in bad shape.