• NYNH&H and NYO&W relationship

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by RAY

Did the New Haven Railroad own stock in the (connecting at Maybrook) NYO&W? If so, what percentage? Also if so, did the NH influence policies regarding O&W operations? I seem to have a vague recollection of, back in the early 50's, talk of the New Haven possibly absorbing the O&W in what would have turned out to be one last gasp of expansion.
  by Ridgefielder

RAY wrote:Did the New Haven Railroad own stock in the (connecting at Maybrook) NYO&W? If so, what percentage? Also if so, did the NH influence policies regarding O&W operations? I seem to have a vague recollection of, back in the early 50's, talk of the New Haven possibly absorbing the O&W in what would have turned out to be one last gasp of expansion.
The New Haven obtained control of the O&W during the Morgan/Mellen years-- I believe ca. 1904, shortly after the purchase of the CNE. Think it was mostly a maneuver on the part of Morgan to control coal rates. Not sure how long control lasted, however, or whether there was ever a substantial integration of operating practices, etc.
  by TomNelligan

RAY wrote: I seem to have a vague recollection of, back in the early 50's, talk of the New Haven possibly absorbing the O&W in what would have turned out to be one last gasp of expansion.
Yes, in the early 1950s the NH was briefly interested in acquiring the Campbell Hall-Cadosia-Scranton portion of the O&W to give it a direct connection with the Lackawanna in those pre-EL days, but nothing concrete ever happened.
  by Statkowski

Although a separate entity, the NYO&W did have a close working relationship with the NYNH&H. When necessary, and if available, the NYO&W leased NYNH&H freight engines. And, when the NYNH&H ran football specials between West Point and Yale, the entire New Haven train, engines and all, ran onto the NYO&W and down the NYC's West Shore line to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point (the NYO&W had trackage rights on the West Shore).