• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NNR

benden wrote:Hi, does anyone know how to contact Jon Deli Priscoli by email I just have an off topic question I want to ask him

Tks
If you cant find his email pm me i have his cell number as long as its a legite question not like why is the caboose have yellow steps
  by slashmaster

Saw West Upton Yard today,looks like after they loaded the 3 hoppers at Browns Road they brought them right back to West Upton. There is a group of 3 on the new spur
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64 ... ure228.jpg and group of 4 and 5 where the cars had been sitting
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64 ... ure227.jpg
I also took a quick drive by N. Grafton, the CF7 and GP9 were at the loading dock with a boxcar in between.
  by Zoomboy

The past few mornings 1750 has been heading towards Washington Mills between 8-8:30am. When I drove by this morning the caboose was coupled to the line of cars in the yard and it appeared that there was a crew at the loading dock getting ready to work on 1500. 1750 was on it's way already towards the Mill.

Jeff
  by rd5260

they have an excavator working by Valley Tech and I noticed some new ties stockpiled off of Grove st.
  by Cosmo

Where is Valley Tech, exactly?
  by stvigi

BLACKSTONE VALLEY REGIONAL VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
65 Pleasant Street
Upton, MA 01568
  by Cosmo

Oh, RIGHT! Cool!
Now I can Google Earth it :-D
thanks!
  by Cosmo

Ok, after looking at it on GE I DO know that locationn, just didn't know what it was called.
I checked out the whole line from W. Upton over to Milford. Interesting, you can clearly see the car full of ties as well as the old 44 TONNER!
Looks like the line had been cleared halfway to Hopedale from W. U. but not all the way in.
Also, the old engine house is still there in GE.

OT: Take a look around Holliston for the Washakum Live Steamers! You can see them clearly if you know where to look. ;)
  by g-u-rr

When the crews were excavatingthe west side of the NG yard, a while earlier, I noticed that there were 3 large granite blocks over to the side near the Harris Bros. I haven't been down the new access road to see whether they are still there, but I wonder, does anyone know whether these were remnants of the old turntable that surfaced during the excavation? According to an 1898 map of the yard, the blocks were in the right area. :-)
  by Tracer

g-u-rr wrote:When the crews were excavatingthe west side of the NG yard, a while earlier, I noticed that there were 3 large granite blocks over to the side near the Harris Bros. I haven't been down the new access road to see whether they are still there, but I wonder, does anyone know whether these were remnants of the old turntable that surfaced during the excavation? According to an 1898 map of the yard, the blocks were in the right area. :-)
Could be, when they were rebuilding the old colony line in Whitman they stumbled on the remnants of a turntable foundation at Whitman station. http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20090 ... NG=whitman
  by g-u-rr

Hey folks, I've been trying to find an aerial view of the West Upton yard since the reconstruction. I've been using Google-earth. but the view that pops up is an older view before the changes. Can anyone point me to another site that would show a more current view of the trackage? Thanks, Mike :-)
  by frrc

g-u-rr wrote:Hey folks, I've been trying to find an aerial view of the West Upton yard since the reconstruction. I've been using Google-earth. but the view that pops up is an older view before the changes. Can anyone point me to another site that would show a more current view of the trackage? Thanks, Mike :-)
Microsoft has some maps taken from satellite data, which are updated on a regular basis. Found one of my house showing some roofing work I was doing a while ago, then a few months later, found an updated photo. Not as good resolution as
the military grade stuff, but still good.
  by g-u-rr

frrc wrote:
g-u-rr wrote:Hey folks, I've been trying to find an aerial view of the West Upton yard since the reconstruction. I've been using Google-earth. but the view that pops up is an older view before the changes. Can anyone point me to another site that would show a more current view of the trackage? Thanks, Mike :-)
Microsoft has some maps taken from satellite data, which are updated on a regular basis. Found one of my house showing some roofing work I was doing a while ago, then a few months later, found an updated photo. Not as good resolution as
the military grade stuff, but still good.
Thanks for the tip! Mike :-D
  by benden

FYI, went for a walk at the weekend and lot's of activity from Maple Ave to Pleasant Street, track bed cleared either side of track by excavator (which was being fueled this morning as I drove past). Other excavator/tree clearing at Mendon Street and piles of new ties located at Station Street and Plain Street. Looks like the push to Hopedale is beginning in earnest now that the weather is better!

By the way, does anyone know what the old siding was used for at Station Street?
  by SkiScorcher88

benden wrote:By the way, does anyone know what the old siding was used for at Station Street?
That was for the Upton station. There's a picture of it somewhere, I just can't seem to locate it at the moment.