• Tampa Area

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by BrianS

Any ideas on RR employment in the Tampa area? I want to relocate down there. I am currently an engineer for a regional. I would like to keep in the business to maintain my RRB. You can email me at Brian777ua (@) charter.net

Thank you

Brian
  by MikeJ

The only trains I see around here are CSX and Amtrak.
  by slchub

You can go down the list of short lines operating in FL like I did in 2006:

http://www.aslrra.org/our_members/railr ... ncedSearch

Be prepared for lower wages than what you'll make at a Class 1. A few even required that you work ALL roles (MOW, TE&Y, etc.). The best option I found for a shortline was the Florida Central which paid it's hoggers about $16.00 an hour.

I did not want to start out once again at the bottom of the totem pole with CSX so I opted to go with Amtrak. You'll find that Amtrak has crew bases in MIA and JAX as well as Sanford (Auto Train).

Good luck.
  by KV1guy

slchub wrote:You can go down the list of short lines operating in FL like I did in 2006:

http://www.aslrra.org/our_members/railr ... ncedSearch

Be prepared for lower wages than what you'll make at a Class 1. A few even required that you work ALL roles (MOW, TE&Y, etc.). The best option I found for a shortline was the Florida Central which paid it's hoggers about $16.00 an hour.

I did not want to start out once again at the bottom of the totem pole with CSX so I opted to go with Amtrak. You'll find that Amtrak has crew bases in MIA and JAX as well as Sanford (Auto Train).

Good luck.

Cant speak for all crew bases...but Amtrak JAX wont even consider you unless you hold a CLASS 1 license and have been running on it for years straight.....i e promoted but cut back.
  by slchub

One can get hired however within a Zone (Crew base area for which a qualified engineer calls their home terminal) and transfer into another crew base with relative ease so long as a vacancy can be filled based upon your seniority date. There is the caveat of having to learn the new territory at your own expense (the carrier will not pay for you to qualify on the new territory).