• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by g-u-rr

wog820 wrote:
slashmaster wrote:
g-u-rr wrote:With the rail and construction activity on-going with the G&U, does anyone know whether they are using radio? The G&U had their own frequencies in the past. But the new owner might have his own registered frequencies. Any takers on this question?
I don't know, I know nothing about radio, what's it cost to buy and maintain that stuff anyway? Wouldn't they have to pay to maintain a license? Maybe cellphones are cheaper?
Last I heard cell phones are a no no on the Railroad. :wink:
If anyone has had access to one of the new locomotives and the unit still has a radio, then it is a good bet that the radios are still good to be used, and intended to be used. My understanding is that railroads pull their own radios out when disposing of a locomotive. Of course this would require that someone is okayed to view the locomotive to check. :-) The listed G&U frequency used to be 160.245 but maybe it went out with the railroad sale.
  by slashmaster

This is interesting, I've been watching the G & U from the mid 80's up and have never seen anyone use a radio. When I first learned they had their own frequency I laughed because why would a railroad like the G & U need it? They never run more than 1 train at a time and the trains have always been short so who would need to talk to who with radio? I did read about them using it during the much busier Draper era, as far as I know that was the only time they used it.
  by slashmaster

jboutiet wrote:I saw (and had to stop for) 1750 pushing two boxcars this morning, across Ray St. heading east, just before 8am. Is this just a normal Washington Mills run, or did they go further? I thought about heading over to the center of town, but I didn't want to wait all day if they weren't going that far.
If they were pushing them down to Washington Mills it had to have been for it. It would be a long way to go backwards with a guy riding on the side of a car all the way to West Upton! Interesting they needed 2 boxcars though, I've only ever seen 1 at a time at Washington Mills.
  by EastMassParanormal

They should just use regular old walkie-talkies that have a 10 mile range.
  by rd5260

1750 was headed to Upton around 11 this morning with nothing in tow....
  by frrc

EastMassParanormal wrote:They should just use regular old walkie-talkies that have a 10 mile range.
Problem with regular walkie talkies is who is to prevent someone else from using the same channel or causing interference. That's the reason I stopped using GMRS/FRS radios, everyone has them, and everyone tries to use the same channels as other people. The AAR has strict rules as to the use of radios on railroads also.
  by Otto Vondrak

slashmaster wrote:This is interesting, I've been watching the G & U from the mid 80's up and have never seen anyone use a radio. When I first learned they had their own frequency I laughed because why would a railroad like the G & U need it? They never run more than 1 train at a time and the trains have always been short so who would need to talk to who with radio? I did read about them using it during the much busier Draper era, as far as I know that was the only time they used it.
Interchange. They would have to call the DS any time they entered "foreign" territory. Likewise, a foreign crew would need to be able to communicate with the G&U crew if they were coming onto their territory.

-otto-
  by EastMassParanormal

Problem with regular walkie talkies is who is to prevent someone else from using the same channel or causing interference. That's the reason I stopped using GMRS/FRS radios, everyone has them, and everyone tries to use the same channels as other people. The AAR has strict rules as to the use of radios on railroads also.

Yeah good point.
  by g-u-rr

[Even though we all know that the G&U hasn't "had" to use the standard AAR channels for years due to low traffic, their frequency 160.245 is listed as AAR channel number " 09 " on a standard railroad radio. The previous quote mentioned the ability to communicate with connecting railroad radios. I gather that you dial up the railroad you want to talk to, ( I believe that the CSX channel 160-800 is channel " 46 ", for example. -----This still doesn't answer the question of whether the old G&U channel went with the sale or whether the new owner uses a different channel, I understand that he owned(?) the railroad that used to be the old Fore River RR in Quincy, Ma, ( listed as the Quincy Bay Terminal with frequency 160.215 channel 07 ). Maybe that channel is the one that is associated with the G&U now? ---This could ALL be a moot point as with limited train running, maybe all they do is call the office to get their trackage rights and do NOT use the railroad radio freq. ---When I worked Part-time with the Bay Colony, I'd call the dispatcher in the office to get my trackage rights for a period of time and never used a railroad radio. Can anyone shed any more light? And THANK YOU for the replies so far. :-)
quote="EastMassParanormal"]

Yeah good point.[/quote]
  by NNR

Otto Vondrak wrote:
slashmaster wrote:This is interesting, I've been watching the G & U from the mid 80's up and have never seen anyone use a radio. When I first learned they had their own frequency I laughed because why would a railroad like the G & U need it? They never run more than 1 train at a time and the trains have always been short so who would need to talk to who with radio? I did read about them using it during the much busier Draper era, as far as I know that was the only time they used it.
Interchange. They would have to call the DS any time they entered "foreign" territory. Likewise, a foreign crew would need to be able to communicate with the G&U crew if they were coming onto their territory.

-otto-
They would have the need for radioes for switching much easier and safer and G&U never enters foreign territory
  by slashmaster

I checked the G & U again. In West Upton the boxcar was gone and some of the hoppers were gone. I checked North Grafton yard and it looked like it usually does now, then I checked Browns Road and found the hoppers they took From West Upton, they had filled them up with all the dead ties that were in that huge pile.
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64 ... ure223.jpg
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64 ... e224-1.jpg
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64 ... ure225.jpg

However it looks like they didn't throw in the steel straps and metal buckets so guess wherever they are going to send them metal isn't allowed.

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo64 ... ure226.jpg
  by g-u-rr

Hi all. I live near the NG yard and about 6.30am, the sound of an EMD engine running woke me up. Later on, about 9:30am, I was at the Cumby's in center Grafton and the GP-9 went by going back to North Grafton light. Did something significant happen in terms of movement down at the W.Upton end of the line?
  by b&m 1566

In response to the radios here is my two cents:
About a year or two ago when I last visited New England Southern, I noticed (and on many previous visits) that a radio was used between the two crew members and when clearance was needed to and from Manchester a call was placed to the Pan Am dispatcher via cell phone. Again that was a couple of years ago but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if G&U crews do the same or something similar.
  by g-u-rr

[.I was talking with another fan today about the business car stored in the NG yard. He mentioned that he had been talking with the fellow who had been reconditioning the #100 caboose as a "rolling office car". Workspace, Ac, paneling and the like. Anyhow, this fellow alluded that the old G&O business office car, if everything goes well, is to be reconditioned well enough to be used as the owners car for travel through the US. My understanding is that the Amtrak rules for private cars are quite strict as to conditon. I'm guessing that the priority is for the G&U to become a paying concern first before spending the time/money to refurbish the private car. BUT, IF the business car ever gets a 1st class renovation, what a GREAT feather-in-the-cap that would be for a shortline. Looking forward to this event if it ever happens! ----By the way, I used to be a Sleeping car attendant for Amtrak and I live within walking/sight distance of this car. Do ya think Joe would be hiring for a steward? :-D
  by benden

Hi, does anyone know how to contact Jon Deli Priscoli by email I just have an off topic question I want to ask him

Tks