• Decoder failure- diagnostics?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by steamfan6325

I have an Athearn Genesis Light Mike that I equipped with an NCE D13SRJ decoder. The engine ran OK for a while, but then developed a problem. When first set on the track, the engine would run forward at a moderate speed at step 0. It operated fine at all speed steps above zero, and after a few times of going to a higher speed step and then back to zero it would stop at zero like it's supposed to and would continue to operate properly until it was removed from the layout for a while. This happened every time the engine was off the layout (or the layout powered down) for more than a few minutes, until one day while running I completely lost control of the locomotive. When this happened it went forward at the same moderate speed noted earlier, but would not respond to any commands. It travelled maybe 5 feet and stopped, unresponsive, and the motor could be heard buzzing quietly. I removed and inspected the decoder and found burned parts (no surprize there). Then I reinstalled the original jumper and ran the engine on DC and it ran flawlessly. I am planning on installing sound in this engine, so I need to be sure the engine didn't cause the decoder failure. What problems am I looking for here?

Thanks,
Jon
  by ApproachMedium

It sounds like the track may have bridged to the motor somehow. Even though its a factory DCC ready loco I would still inspect the engine for pinched wires etc. Also make sure when replacing the shell that nothing is comming on contact with the decoder that could put pressure on it and cause it to short or overheat.
  by steamfan6325

Thanks ApproachMedium. Makes sense that a short might not show up on DC power.
  by steamfan6325

Managed to get the boiler shell off and found several pinched wires. I wonder how this engine even ran! I ended up completely rewiring the engine and filing the weights in several places to allow more room for the wiring, and put extra heat-shrink tubing on the wires in critical areas to help prevent future problems. She runs great now.

Thanks again for the help,
Jon
  by ApproachMedium

No problem glad to be of service. Its always good when you can get a few extra ideas thrown in from others. I know even with all the knowledge I have stuff does get overlooked and it never hurts to have a second opinion!