• Electric locomotives--New Forum Request

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by ex Budd man

Is anyone interesed in starting a catagory for domestic electric locomotives? I'm sure I'm not alone in my interest in juice power.

Thread title edited by Moderator (clarity) 2-20-10, 1013AM EST
  by DutchRailnut

What domestic electrics ?? their all imported.
Except the GE e60's but those still in freight service are on their last legs.
  by ex Budd man

DutchRailnut wrote:What domestic electrics ?? their all imported.
Except the GE e60's but those still in freight service are on their last legs.
Gee, I don't know .........how about the couple PRR had , or maybe the Virginian Ry. .....or NYC, Great Northern, maybe even New Haven, :wink: na, forget it, my bad. :P
  by DutchRailnut

so you want history channel ??
  by John_Perkowski

I will make sure Otto looks in on this in the next week.

I would note the B-L-H forum, as Baldwin was a signficant maker of electrics in the historic day, as well as the GE forum.

In general, if you can make the case for the traffic volume, Otto will entertain a new forum. So far, that traffic volume test has been pesky for many folks' desires.
  by JackRussell

I am kind of thinking that at some point in the next decade or two that there will be a resurgence of electric locomotives. But as things stand there are none today. Yeah, I also find the subject interesting and would like to see it happen, but at the moment there isn't much to be said, and I am not sure what the point of such a forum would be right now.

If you wanted to change the definition to electric locomotives that are used domestically, you might have a slightly stronger case. And if you made the forum about all electric locomotives worldwide, then there would be something to discuss, and people could post pictures.
  by Jtgshu

there pretty indepth discussions on current (and future) electric locomotives on the forums of the railroads that currently use them, namely, NJT and Amtrak (for Catenary) and Amtrak/Metro North/LIRR for dual mode diesel/third rail. there are also threads on the MARC and Septa forum as well.

It would be cool to have a seperate forum, but I think it would end up repeating a lot of the info that would be stated in the above listed forums?
  by BoilerBob

I would be interested in an electric locomotive thread.
  by John_Perkowski

Moderator's Note:

Here is some information about new Forums:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 141&t=5887

If you have further questions, ask Otto by PM. He's the decisionmaker. For now, thank you for your participation.