• Eagle Mountain RR (California)

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by mdamico23

Hi folks,

Does anyone know whatever became of the 52-mile Eagle Mountain RR in California? Owned by Kaiser Steel Corp., this line connected with the Southern Pacific in the Mojave Desert to the east of Los Angeles and ran 50+ miles north to an iron ore mine. The railroad employed Baldwin roadswitchers as its primary power until 1968, when they bought 5 new General Electric U30Cs.

The Eagle Mountain was the subject of a 1983 article in Railfan & Railroad magazine in which they were supposed to abandon operations in December 1983.

Does anyone know what happened to the Eagle Mountain's track (torn up??) and the U30C's (scrapped?)

-Mike

by riffian

Track is still there......mothballed. There have been several plans for the line, the closest to coming to fruition was to haul L.A. garbage by rail to the pit. I believe eco concerns torpedoed that one. With the huge increased demand for iron ore, the possibility of reopening this mine becomes more real all the time (especially export to China.).