• VRE's Lease of Sounder Cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Amtrak7

In the past, VRE has leased Sounder cars for it's operations. According to this video, some of the cars were repainted with VRE markings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShE1JFjCw7Q

I though when a railroad leases cars, the cars retain the original paint scheme until purchased. Did VRE have these cars long enough to justify painting out the Sounder markings? What remains of the VRE markings on the cars today in SEA?
  by realtype

Amtrak7 wrote:In the past, VRE has leased Sounder cars for it's operations. According to this video, some of the cars were repainted with VRE markings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShE1JFjCw7Q

I though when a railroad leases cars, the cars retain the original paint scheme until purchased. Did VRE have these cars long enough to justify painting out the Sounder markings? What remains of the VRE markings on the cars today in SEA?
I think it was justified, especially considering they only repainted (or wrapped) over the word "Sounder." The cars were leased for about 3 years iirc. I think it should be a requirement to have some markings identifying the operatin railroad, as long as the lessee removes them after the lease. I'm pretty sure the VRE markings are gone now.
  by electricron

How did Virginia commuters like the Bombardier built Sounder Bi-Level cars?
How would you compare them with both brand new and very old VRE Galley cars?
  by realtype

electricron wrote:How did Virginia commuters like the Bombardier built Sounder Bi-Level cars?
They pretty much liked them. I once read an opinion from a VRE rider of all types they operated, but I forgot exactly what he said. The Sounder B'dier cars were only used on the Manassas Line for most of their stay, and the Kawasaki bi-levels were pretty much ony used on the F'burg Line. So both types of cars were considered tthe "luxury" cars for their respective lines compared to the ancient gallery cars.

One plus I have heard about the B'dier cars was the tables seats between the seats. Another advantage over the gallery cars (old and new), as well as the Kawasakis, was that the doors were on the lower level (not the vestibule "middle" level), which allowed level boarding at most VRE stations since all of them use low-level platforms (some are really low though).

As far as the old gallery cars are concerned there's absolutely nothing good about them, but VRE says they'll still operate at least one trainset with them, and keep a good number in storage despite the fact that they have enough new ones for full service. The only real complaint I've heard about the new ones is that the HVAC is too cold.
  by davinp

realtype wrote:
electricron wrote:How did Virginia commuters like the Bombardier built Sounder Bi-Level cars?
They pretty much liked them. I once read an opinion from a VRE rider of all types they operated, but I forgot exactly what he said. The Sounder B'dier cars were only used on the Manassas Line for most of their stay, and the Kawasaki bi-levels were pretty much ony used on the F'burg Line. So both types of cars were considered tthe "luxury" cars for their respective lines compared to the ancient gallery cars.

One plus I have heard about the B'dier cars was the tables seats between the seats. Another advantage over the gallery cars (old and new), as well as the Kawasakis, was that the doors were on the lower level (not the vestibule "middle" level), which allowed level boarding at most VRE stations since all of them use low-level platforms (some are really low though).

As far as the old gallery cars are concerned there's absolutely nothing good about them, but VRE says they'll still operate at least one trainset with them, and keep a good number in storage despite the fact that they have enough new ones for full service. The only real complaint I've heard about the new ones is that the HVAC is too cold.
They had one set on the Fredericksburg Line one time. I've ridden them a few times.
The only complaint I heard about them is that VRE passengers didn't like the seats facing each other.

Here is photo of Sounder locomotive formally leased by VRE. Can see you see VRE's diamond shaped logo on it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebjork/4155984537/
  by FFolz

Is it far to call it a lease when the erstwhile lessor was not party to the deal between the owner and the lessee? Or, shall we say they were, but involuntarily? :wink: