• Expanding Service in South Jersey

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by M&Eman

WaitinginSJ wrote:
Woodcrest295 wrote:the the moment the DRPA is working towards light rail to camden from glassboro. its been decided. if you want to question it, that it your call but know now that if you fight the current light rail proposal and win you wont see any more projects for aleast 20 years. oh btw one guy operating a light rail with TVM's is a hell of alot less labor intensive than commuter rail.
This is a good point, but I'm *slightly* (not much) less concerned about it being light rail, than where it ends. What I'm hoping is that they'll bring it all the way to Millville.
Well if your big concern is where the line ends. Don't "fight" it, but petition for it to be extended to Millville. Don't kill it if that doesn't happen, you'll be ruining a good thing for Glassboro people that way.
  by WaitinginSJ

M&Eman wrote:
WaitinginSJ wrote:
Woodcrest295 wrote:the the moment the DRPA is working towards light rail to camden from glassboro. its been decided. if you want to question it, that it your call but know now that if you fight the current light rail proposal and win you wont see any more projects for aleast 20 years. oh btw one guy operating a light rail with TVM's is a hell of alot less labor intensive than commuter rail.
This is a good point, but I'm *slightly* (not much) less concerned about it being light rail, than where it ends. What I'm hoping is that they'll bring it all the way to Millville.
Well if your big concern is where the line ends. Don't "fight" it, but petition for it to be extended to Millville. Don't kill it if that doesn't happen, you'll be ruining a good thing for Glassboro people that way.
I don't think I said that I was fighting that it was light rail, I was asking that it be extended to Millville.
  by south jersey trains

That was me who said that.I also suggested with the Coast Guard base there,its national security issue,also for evacation during storms,plus the men and women who are stationed there should have train transportation to the Philadelphia and Atlantic City airports to catch flights as its a training base many are newly enlisted and havent any cars.Why is this area forgotton time and time again for funds to repair the track?
  by WaitinginSJ

This is just out of curiosity, which would be a longer ride from Cape May to Philly, going up the route of the CMSL to the Atlantic City Line, or traveling trough Woodbine, Millville, Vineland, Glassboro, Camden to Delair and Patco?
  by Patrick Boylan

That's a bit of a toughie. Did you try to measure it? I'm afraid I'm too lazy, but how about you check it via mapquest or whatever, which I imagine can be a hassle since I think they probably only give highway info. Does anybody know any other free mileage software?

I bet there's lots of choice for the other route, or do you have a specific right of way in mind? Remember even for the currently budget imperilled proposal to Woodbury I don't think anybody's really pinned down the exact alignment, although I believe it's supposed to follow existing Conrail tracks.
  by WaitinginSJ

gardendance wrote:That's a bit of a toughie. Did you try to measure it? I'm afraid I'm too lazy, but how about you check it via mapquest or whatever, which I imagine can be a hassle since I think they probably only give highway info. Does anybody know any other free mileage software?

I bet there's lots of choice for the other route, or do you have a specific right of way in mind? Remember even for the currently budget imperilled proposal to Woodbury I don't think anybody's really pinned down the exact alignment, although I believe it's supposed to follow existing Conrail tracks.
I can use Google Earth, why didn't I think of that before! And you are correct, personally I'm hoping they go farther.
  by TREnecNYP

Just re-activate the PRSL & CNJ lines all ready, jeeze. You could call it the C&A or Reading division.

- A
  by radioboy

Well, if you heard Ask the Governor on 101.5 last night, you heard Christie say, "Well, I'd love to see NJ Transit expand, but if you're a regular NJ Transit rider, don't be expecting to see any expansion in the near future".
  by blockline4180

radioboy wrote:Well, if you heard Ask the Governor on 101.5 last night, you heard Christie say, "Well, I'd love to see NJ Transit expand, but if you're a regular NJ Transit rider, don't be expecting to see any expansion in the near future".
My ex-girlfriends Aunt use to go out with Chris Christie when they went to Livington High... She said he use to have Lionel trains in his father's basement... Whatever it means I don't know, but it can't be bad!! :P
  by TheTroll

blockline4180 wrote:
radioboy wrote:Well, if you heard Ask the Governor on 101.5 last night, you heard Christie say, "Well, I'd love to see NJ Transit expand, but if you're a regular NJ Transit rider, don't be expecting to see any expansion in the near future".
My ex-girlfriends Aunt use to go out with Chris Christie when they went to Livington High... She said he use to have Lionel trains in his father's basement... Whatever it means I don't know, but it can't be bad!! :P
Oh crap! The Gov's a foamer!! :wink:
  by Patrick Boylan

We have met the enemy and they is us.
  by WaitinginSJ

That sounds like a good thing. That means we can at least see some sort of expansion down here, as well as other mass transit devoid areas of the state. Hopefully they'll realize that there's something between Philadelphia and the Shore. I almost wonder if they could do a WPA thing like they did back in the 30's to help maybe spur the economy? Mind you, that's ignoring the fact that we're taxed to death, employment isn't THAT bad, and the fact that our state is in a financial crisis.
  by cruiser939

WaitinginSJ wrote:
Hopefully they'll realize that there's something between Philadelphia and the Shore.
North Philly is in between Philadelphia and SHORE. :P