• Car heights

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Nova55

Out of curiosity..

Whats the current load height limit on LIRR/NYA? Is it still 15'6" as per there tariff? Obviously Plate F cars are allowed, atleast to certain spots. So that raises it to 17'. Where is this valid? Also, what is the height restriction on the bay ridge? Is it limited to Plate C cars?
  by Jayjay1213

On the Bay Ridge, plate F cars were common when the brick guy was down there in 65 st, he would commonly get FBOX, TBOX and other assorted high cars...
  by LRail

Just for argument's sake, would the current bridge heights allow for an intermodal train, if "tomorrow" they decided to run one? Again, I'm just asking in theory?
  by DutchRailnut

how would you get them there ??? I don't believe MNCR has clearances for double stacks.
  by LRail

I'm guessing that floating is not an option?
  by ex-tc driver

I believe TOFC can be run from from Selkirk due to the Oakpoint link to Fresh pond . But the clearance is less [17ft] than double stack which require higher clearances and use different rolling stock. I believe the industry combines both sets of equipment on intermodal trains which would mean the equipment used for double stack cant be used due to third rail issues and the higher clearances they need. Unless a dedicated train of just TOFC equiptment is used such as a UPS train its not going to happen in the near future.
  by hrfcarl

Out of curiosity, what is the clearance on Hell Gate Bridge rated at: TOFC or double stack?
Last edited by hrfcarl on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Nova55

Hell Gate.
  by hrfcarl

Nova55 wrote:Hell Gate.
Beat me to it, I was just going to correct.... :-)