• Resorts with passenger car sidings, in the past

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by CarterB

In the past, what hotels/resorts/nat'l parks, etc., had their own passenger car sidings or spurs for scheduled pullman or PV drop offs? Which with air/steam/and/or electric service for parked cars?
I know French Lick (Indiana), And the Greenbrier (WVa) had such. What others?
Any that still exist with 'drop off' sidings?
  by Otto Vondrak

Back in the day, the Greenbrier at White Sulphur Springs, WV had such facilities.

Problem now is, Amtrak cannot "pick up" or "drop off" a car anywhere except where they have terminal facilities (with a yard crew and car knockers).

-otto-
  by Aa3rt

CarterB, This doesn't really provide the answer you're looking for but the "Official Guide of the Railways" used to carry listings in the back of the guide of all national parks that were served by railroads. I just checked my trusty and much worse for wear July 1947 issue and they are broken down this way:

"National Parks in the United States including Alaska and Hawaii" (Keep in mind that this was over a decade before either Alaska or Hawaii was admitted to the Union.)

"National Military Parks in the United States"

"National Historical Parks in the United States"

"National Parks in Canada"

Followed by:

"List of Military Posts and Camps in the United States, showing Railroad Passenger Status"

However, I'm unable to find any reference as to which parks may have handled passenger cars.
  by CarterB

Aar3rt,

Thanks for looking that up. I've got to think that, since the GN, UP, SF and others "touted" certain 'routes', that they may have had 'car park' facilities at Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Sun Valley, etc.

As well, were there not other 'resort destinations' other than French Lick and Greenbrier that may have had such? Maybe Eastport, Hancock, ME; or Aspen, CO; or perhaps some of the Catskills, Adirondack resorts? How about the Breakers, in Florida? In the 1920's or so, seems there was a lot of PV, so where'd they go with their cars, to "stay and play", other than set-outs at normal RR terminals, coach yards, etc.?
  by coalmine

One resort that comes to mind is the Greenbrier at White Sulphur Springs, WV. The Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society's website should have some information about how this was handled. There was also a site at French Lick, IN, on the Monon. IIRC, cars for the Homestead were handled via the C&O at Clifton Forge, VA.

work safe
  by CarterB

I've gotta think that at one time or other, places like the Breakers in FL, or the Sun Valley Inn in ID etc. had PV or layover pullman sidings with or without service. Would also seem same might have been true for some resorts/destinations in the Catskills/Adirondacks, some of the Western Nat'l parks, or other popular vacation/summer/winter home destinations of the rich and famous. Many had PV, so they hadta take them or park them somewhere.