• New England Central meeting

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by jaymac

...just as long as they're all able to laugh when the meeting's over...
  by Noel Weaver

I certainally have rich memories of the Central Vermont Southern Division especially at Brattleboro and New London. After
the New Haven ended steam operation in the very early 50's and even earlier in much of Connecticut, the Central Vermont
could be depended on to see live steam in everyday operation at New London. The terminals at both Brattleboro and New
London hosted live steam until the spring of 1957 and the people in both places were friendly beyond belief.
I worked for the New Haven etc but I knew people on the CV over the years and everyone of them was a gentleman beyond
belief no matter what their position was.
I wish the people with New England Central lots of luck both at the meeting Friday and in the future too. I think this route
still has a good future and it sure has been a big plus being independent of the New Haven, Penn Central etc over the years.
Noel Weaver
  by jedmeister1

Any news from the meeting?
  by toolmaker

Is no news good news?
  by Cadet57

toolmaker wrote:Is no news good news?
I hope so. Im tempted to drive over to Palmer tomorrow to railfan and see if there are any crew around...
  by MikeVT

engines running this morning here in St Albans
  by SnoozerZ49

It was a pretty good meeting. Employees were introduced to 2010 objectives in several areas. This is the first time in 12 years of railroad work that I have seen management take the time to sit down with its employees to outline results and objectives. If the anticipated funding is approved it will be an exciting Summer of track work, bridge and signal improvements.

Without giving away any secrets traffic declines have been offset by improvements in operating efficiencies.
Let's hope the situation continues in a positive direction.
  by MEC407

So, long story short, the railroad is not going out of business, being bought by another railroad, de-unionizing, or any of the other doomsday scenarios that people were worried about?
  by lirrelectrician

Hello all,
Wow , Railroad management actually sitting down with employees. I guess working for the NECR isnt all that bad. Id love to see management do that on the LIRR. But then again there are almost as many managers as employees here. Getting back to the NECR. 2010 should be a decent year for them as there is supposedly stack trains coming down from CN to The P&W at Willimantic. Plus all those loads of Granite waste from Rock of Ages on the WACR should start this spring too. There have also been reports on the yahoo Groyp that the NECR is supposed to get some FEC GP40-3s.
All for now
Mike Scholz-LIRR
  by LIL BUDDY

Railroad management actually sitting down with employees. I guess working for the NECR isnt all that bad.
Beware of the wolf in sheep's clothing.
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

wink wink click click.
  by MikeVT

Hopefully it will work out for the best. I'm sure the new company has ideas to increase revenue, cut costs, or some mix of the two but if it can grow the company its better for all.

I have done very little with the railroad. Some contract work down south but I did find the employee - management relationship to be dated. Hopefully things have and/or are changing.
  by Steam3713

WCAX-TV Channel 3 Burlington, VT reportedly ran a story on the contnents of the meeting. Anyone catch it?
  by MEC407

Steam3713 wrote:WCAX-TV Channel 3 Burlington, VT reportedly ran a story on the contnents of the meeting. Anyone catch it?
If they did, they don't seem to have anything about it on their web site.