• Finger Lakes Railway Solvay Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by sean3f

I was up near Syracuse and cought some action at the Finger Lakes Railways Solvay yard near Syracuse New York. He making up his train at Solvay New York then getting underway. Thank's to my BB GPS, I cought him again at Auburn and Senca Falls. Great shots of an x P and W U-Boat in the lead!!! I followed him all the way to Senica Fall's. I almost cought him at Cayuga Lake but went the wrong way on sr90.

Anyway, I wanted to share the video. Finger Lakes Railway from Solvay yard.

In two part's : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiYfI8qpCPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDhDs6JWsU

Enjoy...
Last edited by sean3f on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by roadster

Besides the fact that Solvay yard is near "Syracuse, NY" and not Rochester. Seneca Falls is not spelled with an i. Interesting videos. Strange, spelling errors seem familiar.
  by lvrr325

I remember when I first chased Conrail on that same line. No GPS and really didn't need one either, just a good map and a sense of direction.
  by scharnhorst

roadster wrote:Besides the fact that Solvay yard is near "Syracuse, NY" and not Rochester. Seneca Falls is not spelled with an i. Interesting videos. Strange, spelling errors seem familiar.

not my typeing that I can account for that. My english spelling still needs some work but have come a long way in sents 1991 when I started to re-learn english.

Be carefull of filming around the ITT/Goulds Pumps plant if in Seneca Falls the guards are often watching for tresspassers who try to get a spot in the parking lots around the complex on the weekends takeing photos. They also added night vistion cameras around the complex a last month.

outher spots worth filming out side of Auburn to the East is Scaneatlas Jct. at the old Train Station off of Jordan Road when you come to the tracks make a left and park there DO NOT PARK in the factory parking lot next to the tracks its being watched by cameras.

To the West of Auburn Canoga Road is a good spot you take Clark Street to Beach Tree Road make a left onto Canoga Rd follow the curve and you'll follow the FGLK Tracks for a mile with out any trees blocking your view. Once you finish there move to the next intersection make a Left go under the Tunnel and take the road to RT 5 make a fast Right on to RT 5 go 200 ft and a fast left take that road to the end and you come to Genesee St make a Right and go 1 1/2 miles to the Half Acre town barn you'll catch the train there when done there take Genesee St to the end you'll come to RT 90 cross RT 90 and go over the hill you'll see the train station there in Cayuga you can often beat the train by 10 to 15 min before it gets into Cayuga from Half Acre if you kind of do a hair over 55m.p.h.
  by sean3f

Strange spelling errors seem familiar

Mistakes like that are great for the comments section. I always get more comment's from people when I make a mistake in a video. God forbid I call a Comet I a Comet II and people will come out of the woodwork to point it out. You get more views if you have more comments, so overall, it's good for traffic.

...thought this forum was called Railroad.net, not spell.net ! haha Back to the topic

I caught this one on my way back to Rochester were I was staying. I did know the area and did not plan on a chase, I just stopped off that exit for a slice at a pizza place. So my GPS was great to have. I really did not know were I was going but, just followed the black line on my GPS. I almost caught him going over Lake Cayuga but went the wrong way on SR 90 and could not find a place to set up. If I did not loose the light I would have followed him to the yard!

Is this a daily run for interchange traffic?
  by roadster

For those who may be interested in the locations to visit someday. Properly identifying said locale IE: Syracuse, Solvay, Rochester, Seneca Falls, and spelling of those, help, said interested people find those places. No offense was meant.
  by scottychaos

Since we are in "Geography corrections mode" anyway..
I have one more! ;)

there is no such thing as "Lake Cayuga"..its "Cayuga Lake"

I always wondered why the Finger Lakes are all:
Cayuga Lake
Seneca Lake
Canandaigua Lake, etc.

while all the Great Lakes are:
Lake Ontario
Lake Superior
Lake Michigan.

no one ever says "Ontario Lake"..and no one ever says "Lake Cayuga"..
weird..

Scot
  by apratt

scottychaos wrote: no one ever says "Ontario Lake"..and no one ever says "Lake Cayuga"..
weird..
Scot
The really weird thing is that it ONLY applies to the Great Lakes. Every other body of water I can think of is referred to by its proper name first, then the descriptor (Atlantic Ocean, Cayuga Lake, Genesee River, Oatka Creek).

To return this thread to railroads, the words Railroad or Railway almost always appear at the end of the company name. SRNY has it at the second word, and I'm sure someone will jump in with another example just to prove the exception, but as far as I can tell it seems to be a general convention of the English language.
  by Leo_Ames

There's plenty that are in the same order as the way the Great Lakes are named.

Lake Placid and Lake Champlain are two that spring immediately to mind that are in this area. Typing in Lake and random letters afterwards in the search engine at Wikipedia to get suggested names to search for suggest that there are many that have the name following Lake in their title.

I imagine it goes for other types of body of water. The River Clyde in the UK is one that comes right to mind for rivers. I've never heard of anyone that refers to it as the Clyde River. And I just thought of the Sea of Japan as a another for a different body of water classification.
  by roadster

Boy did I swing this off topic or what. Sorry. BTW, nice videos sean3f. I remember when we (CSX) dropped that P&W engine off to the Fingerlakes Rwy.. It was in poor shape, to say the least.
  by scharnhorst

joshuahouse wrote:I wonder if in at least some of these cases the lakes are originally named that in French, clearly Lake Champlain was, perhaps that influences the word order.

Old French maps showing the area list Lake first then the name of the lake.
  by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:
joshuahouse wrote:I wonder if in at least some of these cases the lakes are originally named that in French, clearly Lake Champlain was, perhaps that influences the word order.

Old French maps showing the area list Lake first then the name of the lake.
Interesting..

the Finger Lakes would have probably been named by the English..
(Central NY wasnt under French control, I dont think..)

While the Great Lakes were probably named by the French!
since much of that area was under French control initially..

the pattern fits!
that could explain it..thanks!

Scot
  by trwinship

Boy, this is way off topic. However, most of central/western NY didn't get settled by Europeans until after the American revolution. If this kind of thing interests you, here's a fun website from SUNY Stony Brook about French exploration and mapping of the area long before Brtish/American influences

http://www.stonybrook.edu/libmap/coordi ... no1/a1.htm

The French knew about places like the Finger Lakes much before the British did, due to the wanderings of explorers like Brule (Champlain's assistant) and Jesuit priests, plus several military campaigns against the Iroquois, but do not seem to have named the individual lakes as we know them today, or at least the names do not appear on the surviving maps. Some of these date to more than a century before the American Revolution and are not so bad!