• Crawford Notch questions

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by sjl

TWo questions about Crawford Notch in the steam era:

1) When pushers were cut in ahead of the caboose, they obviously needed to be cut out when they reached the summit. My question is, how was the caboose re-attached to the train? Did the road power push the train back against it, or did the helper engine execute a run-around move and tack it on?

2) Did the steam engines have lights mounted on the tenders for backup moves? Most photos I have seen do not show lights, but I would assume they were needed for night operations. I have seen a photo of Mikado 606 with a rear light, but other photos of her without. Were they removeable?

Thanks..

Ron

by Cowford

There's a great video called "Mountain Division" by Herron Video... shows Crawford Notch activity in the steam days. You can probably get your answers there.

by Cowford

By the way, I ended up pulling out that video today... the pushers were always behind the buggy. Based on the footage, the put on helper on the head end and one in the rear as needed.