• Green Line / Subway Delays Discussion and Tracker Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BostonUrbEx

Red Line experiencing 10-15 min delays between Harvard and Alewife due to switch problems at Davis. 1/12/2010 4:17 PM

Wouldn't "Alewife" be a more accurate location than "Davis"? Or is there a crossover close to Davis? If so how often could they possibly use it that it would cause delays...
  by atsf sp

This morning a train was shut down outbound at Washington on the B Line. All passengers were off and a MBTA work truck was going to the scene.
  by StevieC48

I got this sent today about the E Heath St line.

Green Line service is on or near schedule accident 1/16/2010 7:35 AMSent: 1/16/2010 7:36 AM

I never realized the T coud schedule accidents.

But in the later U/D it was a car accident blocking the E line to Heath. But still I think this is a funny alert.
  by BostonUrbEx

StevieC48 wrote:I never realized the T coud schedule accidents.
Yep, they can see the future and carefully plan to handle such discrepancies accordingly. That's why our T runs so smoothly and efficiently!

Anywaysssssss:

Blue Line service is being diverted at Maverick due to power problem at Orient Heights. Shuttle bus service will make local stops from Suffolk Downs to Maverick. Trains service will resume Suffolk Downs to Wonderland. 1/21/2010 10:08 AM
  by typesix

Wire is down between Orient and Wood Island on Boston bound side. Train 0711 took down the wire with passengers on board and rescue personnel are on the way to evacuate them.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

you should hear all the sirens and the helicopters. It unbelievable. I thought it was a drill.
  by BostonUrbEx

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:you should hear all the sirens and the helicopters. It unbelievable. I thought it was a drill.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with all the sirens I am hearing over here on Tremont Street by Government Center. I had heard all sorts of emergency vehicles scrambling for a good 20 minutes or so.

EDIT: Silver line is now covering Airport Station:

Blue Line service is being diverted at Maverick due to power problem at Orient Heights. Shuttle bus service will make local stops from Suffolk Downs to Maverick. Trains service will resume Suffolk Downs to Wonderland. Customers desiring service to Logan must use shuttle bus to Airport Station and connect with Private carrier to Logan. Silver Line service will run between Airport Station and South Station. 1/21/2010 10:08 AM
  by StevieC48

I see they have updated the bussing to Suffolk Downs to Airport and Silver Line from Airport to South Sta.?? Was the alert I got around 1 pm?

Can someone enlighten me and the rest of us who are curious? Thanks
  by BostonUrbEx

According to what we've got in the Subway Delay Tracker thread, yes. And apparently there was a pretty big scene as they evacuated the train the wire came down on.

This is the first, and only, news coverage I've seen so far:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/22 ... etail.html
  by typesix

From listening to scanner, it appears that train 0711 took down overhead between Wood Island and Orient Heights going to Boston around 10-1030am. Passengers had to be taken off by rescue personnel.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

This is what is being reported now.

Due to a power problem on the Blue Line in East Boston, train service between
Airport and Suffolk Downs Stations has been temporarily suspended.

While work crews make repairs to the overhead electrical wire, buses are
replacing Blue Line service between Airport and Suffolk Downs. The shuttle buses
are serving all stations in between Airport and Suffolk Downs.

As an alternative to the shuttle buses, Logan-bound customers are also
encouraged to use the Silver Line, which serves all of the airport's terminals.
The replacement bus service for the Blue Line is expected to be in place into th
evening. The MBTA apologizes for the inconvenience, and greatly appreciates its
customers' patience while work crews make the necessary repairs.

SHUTTLE BUS LOCATIONS:

Airport

OB Airport Busway

Wood Island

OB Bennington Street

IB Station Busway

Orient Heights

OB Bennington Street

IB Station Busway

Suffolk Downs

IB Station Busway on Waldemar Ave. 1/21/2010 10:08 AM
Sent: 1/21/2010 3:28 PM
  by ftran999

As of around 4:30 or so when I was on it they were busing between Airport and Orient Heights.
To me this is an inconvenience. Why have passengers take a train, IB to Orient Heights OB to Airport, have them take a shuttle bus a couple of stops only to reboard another train. Why not just have the shuttle straight through from Wonderland to OH?
However, this time I do have to praise the T the way they handled the shuttle buses. When we disembarked at Airport there were 4 shuttles waiting and once everyone boarded they all left at the same time, no waiting. Unlike the nightmare a couple weeks ago where there were hundreds of people waiting on the sidewalk outside Aquarium for shuttle buses that took forever to come and only two or three at a time.
typesix wrote:From listening to scanner, it appears that train 0711 took down overhead between Wood Island and Orient Heights going to Boston around 10-1030am. Passengers had to be taken off by rescue personnel.
And why isn't the media reporting this? It seems that all they are doing is merely regurgitating the official MBTA press release.
I know this is getting off topic from this discussion but wouldn't the blue line be better off going to a complete third rail system? I mean this isn't the first time they've had problems with the overhead wires.
  by AznSumtinSumtin

ftran999 wrote:Why not just have the shuttle straight through from Wonderland to OH?
Why have trains in the first place? Because it's faster. Believe it or not, buses have to share the streets with cars.
  by CRail

ftran999 wrote:wouldn't the blue line be better off going to a complete third rail system? I mean this isn't the first time they've had problems with the overhead wires.
Yeah, cuz the lines that run all third rail have excellent on time performances.