• Lewiston Industrial Track/Lewiston Lower Rd/Branch status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by bubbytrains

miketrainnut wrote:Where exactly does the state ownership stop? They have kept the line cleared beyond the depot in Lisbon Falls. And the section I know that is owned by Pan Am has trees growing up between the rails the size of your wrist.
Mike
Mike, the state owns to MP 38.8 in Lisbon. I'm not sure exactly where that spot is though. The depot is approximately MP 37.39.
-Alan S.
  by bwparker1

bubbytrains wrote: Unfortunately this is located beyond where the State-owned trackage ends and within the Guilford-owned section.

-Alan S.
Why is that a problem? Guilford is the one providing service to Grimmels. Is the line that farther north not serviceable at this time?

What happened to transpire the sale to begin with? Why did the state buy just the lower portion of the line? Was it because that there were no potential customers beyond the Lisbon depot?
  by Mikejf

Thanks Alan. 38.8 must be pretty close to that loading dock. It's just about a mile by road from the station to McD's. May be a little more. I never clocked it.
Mike
  by pinwizard1971

Here are some shots that I took just before Christmas of the Lewiston Lower Road near my home in Lisbon. I had planned to shoot pictures of all the grade crossings from Lisbon Falls up through to Lewiston until the battery in my camera died. Now there's too much snow on the ground to make it worth the effort. Maybe in the spring.

Winter St. Grade Crossing Google maps link to location: http://bit.ly/6nE91L

You can see a switch right next to a tree that has grown up in the years since this line has been active. This shot is looking down the line toward Brunswick.

Looking down the line toward Lewiston

A closer view of the switch just off the crossing looking toward Brunswick.

Moody Rd. Grade Crossing Google maps link to location: http://bit.ly/6x8BQW

Looking down the line toward Lewiston. It seems mostly clear of any major trees and brush in this direction.

Looking down the line toward Brunswick. The trees have taken over on this side of the crossing. There's a trail of some sort running parallel to the track here.

Rails partially covered by pavement. This is a bumpy ride crossing over this daily for me.

Higher resolution photos can be found here: http://bit.ly/8Luspb

I'd love to see photos of when this line was active, but I'm sure those are pretty hard to come by.
  by bwparker1

pinwizard1971 wrote:I'd love to see photos of when this line was active, but I'm sure those are pretty hard to come by.
Pinwizard, if you can "track" down any of the Morning Sun Color Books on the MEC, I believe there are some photos of this line in action. Not exactly sure the specifics, but I remember seeing at least one of some switching activity at an industry outside of Lewiston on a cool looking half circle type track involving yellow Railbox type box cars. I would check the local libraries, I believe that I obtained at least one of the volumes from the Brunswick Public Library and maybe another from a Portland Library. I believe they have also released a volume three since that time.

BWP
  by bubbytrains

bwparker1 wrote:
bubbytrains wrote: Unfortunately this is located beyond where the State-owned trackage ends and within the Guilford-owned section.

-Alan S.
Why is that a problem? Guilford is the one providing service to Grimmels. Is the line that farther north not serviceable at this time?

What happened to transpire the sale to begin with? Why did the state buy just the lower portion of the line? Was it because that there were no potential customers beyond the Lisbon depot?
It is a problem because it is out of service, and since it is Guilford/PAR-owned, the state has no way to make it so unless they buy that section also, which GRS would either not allow or want an exorbitant amount of $$ for. AFAIK there are no concrete plans to buy any more of the Lewiston Lower Branch further west. As for the original plans, yes I believe it was because the customers they had in mind at the time were Knight-Celotex and Grimmels.
  by bubbytrains

Nice photos Pinwizard. I must live a stone's throw away from you!
-Alan
  by bubbytrains

miketrainnut wrote:Thanks Alan. 38.8 must be pretty close to that loading dock. It's just about a mile by road from the station to McD's. May be a little more. I never clocked it.
Mike
Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the loading dock is NOT beyond the state-owned section. It wouldn't make sense to stop just short of it. Certainly is close.
  by bwparker1

Drove through Lisbon Falls yesterday, double set of tracks is paved over by Worumbo Mill, so that would be an issue in reaching the Lisbon Loading dock. When was the last freight service provided to that loading dock, if ever? With trains running to Grimmels, it would be nice if they could add additional customers, especially if the OSB plant reopened. - BWP

http://www.dailyitem.com/0100_news/loca ... 35209.html

"H.G. Meadows, chairman of W.R. Meadows Inc., said in a statement that operations will resume at the Celotex plant in Danville, Va., this month and a facility in Lisbon Falls, Maine, will reopen as demand grows...."
  by MaineMG

deleted
Last edited by MaineMG on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by bmmrlbnsfengr

Great Letter, consise and informative. Whomever writes this news-worthy story has plenty of info in your letter. Great job!!!!
  by Cowford

In reading MaineNG's letter, I thought he was incorrect in stating that the equipment is owned by Grimmel's... but sure enough, that's what the reporting mark checks out to be. Which begs the question: why the heck would they actually go out and buy (as opposed to lease) such equipment?
  by MaineMG

deleted
Last edited by MaineMG on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by bwparker1

Cowford:

Can you comment on high-sided versus low sided gondolas, and what applications would require use of each type? I am sure that weight is the over-riding factor, which would lead me to believe that the Grimmel's material is "light"

BWP
  by Mikejf

This isn't the first time Grimmels has bought something new just to haul junk in. They buy new trucks and Trailers to haul with. I think they do because that way they know what they have. Buy used, railcars or trailers, and you don't know how long they will last.
Mike