• Rideing hte whole system?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by CSXTfan

Just want to know if anywon ever took their whole day to try and ride the entier Metro rail system?
If anywon did can thay share their trip reportes with us?
  by number1tfan

I'm definitely interested in whether this is possible. I'm from the Boston area and have ridden all over the MBTA. I have taken recent interest in the WMATA and at some point hope to visit DC so I can ride as much of it as possible.
  by tommyboy6181

Just want to know if anywon ever took their whole day to try and ride the entier Metro rail system?
If anywon did can thay share their trip reportes with us?
I think this will answer your question.
Amount of Metro System Ridden: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... lit=amount
I'm definitely interested in whether this is possible. I'm from the Boston area and have ridden all over the MBTA. I have taken recent interest in the WMATA and at some point hope to visit DC so I can ride as much of it as possible.
It is entirely possible to ride the whole system in one day.

Here are some suggestions for riding the first time. If you are looking for combination above and underground in one trip, I have ridden from Grosvenor to Fort Totten. Fort Totten to Union station is interesting because you ride the original above and underground segments of the system and are at the highest elevation in the system at Rhode Island Ave (approximately 45 feet above ground at the station). You also ride through the New York Ave station, which to date is the first and only infill station in the system, opening in 2004.

A fun segment is between Medical Center and Grosvenor because you go from 100ft underground at Medical Center through the Pooks Hill portal to being nearly 40 feet above the Capital Beltway. Then, throw in some nice banked turns and you end up at Grosvenor which is a nicely designed open cut station.

Other nice above ground sections are from King St to Huntington (no other station matches the design of Huntington), Greenbelt to Fort Totten (Fort Totten is a 2 level transfer station that is above ground on the upper level and in an open cut and underground on the lower level), and the Potomac River Bridge. Last, the Green Line from Congress Heights to Branch Ave has some interesting sections as well.
  by SchuminWeb

I remember there used to be a site called "The Great Metro Adventure", where a group of friends did just that - they rode the entire system and visited all 83 (at the time) stations in a single day, getting a bus transfer and a photo with their tinfoil "robot" at each station as proof of their visit. It took them from opening to midnight to do it. I don't remember their precise route, but they started at Shady Grove and ended at Glenmont.

Nowadays, anyone trying to replicate their adventure has three more stations to visit, plus there are no more paper bus transfers.
  by tommyboy6181

Just wait until the full Silver Line to Dulles opens in a few years...
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
I remember there used to be a site called "The Great Metro Adventure", where a group of friends did just that - they rode the entire system and visited all 83 (at the time) stations in a single day, getting a bus transfer and a photo with their tinfoil "robot" at each station as proof of their visit. It took them from opening to midnight to do it. I don't remember their precise route, but they started at Shady Grove and ended at Glenmont.

Nowadays, anyone trying to replicate their adventure has three more stations to visit, plus there are no more paper bus transfers.

From Internet Archive Wayback Machine we beat the system metro.sameperson.net/.

Page loading from that Wayback Machine takes some time so be patient. The description of the itinerary starting at Glenmont comes from a database, so those pages won't render.
  by Matt_S

I did the whole system with a couple of friends over the summer, we took a more relaxed approach, didn't get off at every stop, just the terminating ones. We found the quickest route (starting from my friends home at Silver Spring)

Excluding changing points;

SS - Glenmont,
Glenmont - Greenbelt,
Greenbelt - Branch Ave,
BA, Largo TC,
Largo - New Carrolton,
NC - Vienna,
Vienna - Franconia Springfield,
FS - Huntington,
Huntington - Shady Grove,
SG - Silver Spring

It took us 11 hours, with a coffee break at L'enfant Plaza and lunch at National Airport.

EDIT - Actually it was closer to 9 hours, I had to return to Clarendon from Silver Spring after that - needless to say I was quite sick of metro by that point!