• NYA 40's

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

should NYa get some F40's

Yes
38%
No
62%
  by Mr Met

Hey I thought with the Gp-10 like dead. Maby Nya can get a f40. There are a lot aviable so think this would be a good addition to the NYA fleet

by DutchRailnut

What a stupid poll, with hundreds of Freight units available, retired at equipment dealers why would NY&A buy a Passenger locomotive with umteen restrictions and about 4 million miles on them ???
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=54385
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by tushykushy

As I said before and I think it's realistic thinking, if NYA is going to aquire any new locomotives, it would be another model they are already using (preferably a MP15AC, if anything.)

I see absolutely no reason why they would pick up a F40.

Also, the 201 isn't looking too pretty these days. Number boards, horn, and bell were all removed by the crew. As for vandalism, there is a healthy amount of grafitti as well as engine hatches opened on the fireman's side, with peices of the motor on the catwalk.

by DogBert

Got a photo of 201's current state?

I can't say I'm surprised if it's out by pilgram still...that place attracts a lot of looters.

by tushykushy

There lies the 201 as of 11/30. Photos were taken by emfinite. When we visited the engine a couple of months ago, we were actually suprised something like this wasn't done back then. It was quite a scene up front when we visited it at night with the state of condition it is in.

by SeldenJrFireman

I'm surpirised the thing hasn't been set on fire yet. I am sure it will happen soon.

by M1 9147

What a shame for it to be like this, but that is what happens when an engine is beyond fixup, and now it is total devastation.

by DogBert

I actually recognize one of those tags - I saw it around queens and perhaps along some subway tunnels if I recall right... hmmm...

Someone has to break out all the windows, loot a few more parts and wire out of it, then it will be set on fire. I've always found that to be the progression of destruction of anything left unsecured and abandoned. Leave it there another 6 months it'll probably happen.

as always, damn good photos...

by b&p rupture

tushykushy wrote:
There lies the 201 as of 11/30. Photos were taken by emfinite. When we visited the engine a couple of months ago, we were actually suprised something like this wasn't done back then. It was quite a scene up front when we visited it at night with the state of condition it is in.
Does anyone catch the irony of the photos in tk's post and the signature line?

by b&p rupture

DutchRailnut wrote:What a stupid poll, with hundreds of Freight units available, retired at equipment dealers why would NY&A buy a Passenger locomotive with umteen restrictions and about 4 million miles on them ???
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=54385
Nice photo thanks for the link
That 1206 unit looks good in purple, anyone have any idea which road sports purple livery?

by Mr GP10

Let me just say that I am highly disappointed that this engine has to face death and the graffitti sickens me to no end whatsoever. I hope the 2 SW1200s dont end up like the 201. This was 1 very unique engine I am sadened and I will miss this engine to no end. I wish the 202 was still around. Does any one know for sure where that engine is?

by DogBert

No one knows for sure what happened to 202 down on Lirc. Probably sold for scrap.

The only unique thing about 201 was that it was the only one of it's kind on NYA. GPs of 7/9 origin were produced en masse.

the RR needs modern engines that work, not 50 year old hand me downs that were poorly maintained.

by tushykushy

If those ex-LIRC SW1200's were to be scrapped you definitely won't see them sided where the GP-10 is right now, since those engines have no business being out on the main to begin with. If anything, it will have a special 1 way ticket, non stop to Gershow Recycling.... :P

by Lupo 10

What a disgrace. It will eventually suffer the same fate as Caboose C-70. Tagged, stripped, torched and made into a shelter for the homeless.