• Trenton Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by LoganClipper

Greetings to all!

I'm in the process of rediscovering railfanning through the eyes of my 4-year old son.

That being said, I've found a wealth of information on this board an appreciate the passion that a lot of you bring to this hobby.

We live in Northeast Philadelphia very close to the CSX Trenton Line, which I understand is the ex-Reading/ex-Conrail New York Short Line. My firehouse is also few blocks south of the former Newtown Junction Tower. I can hear the diesels late at night and early in the morning, both from my bedroom and from the firehouse. From what I can gather, the bulk of the traffic on this line moves mostly @ night when there is less of a chance of conflict with Septa traffic from the Wayne Junction area through Cheltenham Junction. I've even seen the elusive Tropicana Juice Train running through our response area late at night. I've got a decent old scanner that still picks up the CSX Dispatchers and have even ventured up to Septa Woodbourne Station to try and catch some freight movement with my son.

I know that it's almost impossible anymore to predict traffic, but is there a decent window that I might be able to catch some action with an impatient 4-year old? Septa Cheltenham Station is closest to us, and we've been lucky at Septa Holmesburg Junction catching some CSAO work in and around the ex-Pennsylvania/ex-Conrail Bustleton Branch.

Any "good time" train watching tips for this line would be greatly apprecitated! Thanks in advance...Pat
  by RDG467

The line has been completely separated from Septa as of last year. So, you have two single-track railroads running next to each other from Newtown Jct. to Cheltenham Jct. CSX passing tracks are located at West Falls and up near Byberry Road, so it seems like you'll see 2-3 frieghts running in the same direction before you can catch one going the other way.

Saturday mornings seem to be a good time to catch 2-3 freights. I've seen them from my Grandfather's house in Olney. You might be able to pinpoint some 'windows' using your scanner. Check the PA Railfan forum, I think there are more posts there about this line.
  by ex Budd man

A good spot to go is Neshaminy Falls station. It affords a great view down the 'short line' track in both directions as well as the R-3 line. My favorite spot for action was Frankford Jct., quite a few summer evenings I took my son to see the seeming endless parade of trains. It was duely impressive for a five year old and his dad.:-D
  by RRSignal2

The Trenton Line merges with the SEPTA Neshaminy Line at CP-Wood, Woodbourne, near the Oxford Valley Mall. That's a pretty good area to railfan as that's where the NS Morrisville Line (ex-PRR Trenton Cutoff) crosses, plus there's Woodbourne Yard there and the connection to Morrisville Yard via the Fairless Branch.

My favorite place is still West Trenton. I know that's a little far from NE Philly but after 6:30 pm on a weekday it is likely to be busy and there are just about always railfans there.