• MARC's small trains/lack of cars?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by electricron

realtype wrote:Anyway my point is, although it sounds weird, its really only the smaller systems (mostly in the South and West) that tend to have all bilevels and all long trains. Metra and Go Train are probablly the only exceptions since all of their equipment is bilevel, and virtually all their trains are long. TRE, Tri-Rail, Coaster, VRE, Altamont Commuter Express, Music City Star, Sounder, etc. all use bilevels exclusively, yet they have the lowest riderhip numbers in the country. In addition, many of these systems,such as VRE and Coaster use only longer trains because they only operate during rush hour. MARC, MBTA, and the other systems I mentioned operate off-peak as well.
Mostly of what you wrote is true, but not all. There's always exceptions that crop up. TRE has 13 Budd RDCs on its rail, used mostly during non-rush hour trains. L.A.'s Metrorail uses some ex-NJT Comet I cars. UTA's Frontrunner bought 25 ex-NJT Comet I cars too.

The reason why Bi-Level cars, either Bombardier's or Galley cars, are so popular out west is that all the commuter rail platforms are low. Having entry doors on the lower level of a Bi-Level car allows easier, quicker entries and exits. That's why ex-NJT Comet I cars are popular out west, the have trap doors that allows low level boarding. Additionally, having more capacity per car also means they can have shorter platforms, which of course is also cheaper to build. The costs for buying a brand new Bi-Level car isn't that much more expensive than buying a brand new single level car. So, it is cheaper to buy new Bi-Level cars overall. The single level Comet I cars are being bought used for slightly above scrap prices, a price that is difficult for any brand new car to beat.
  by realtype

electricron wrote:Mostly of what you wrote is true, but not all. There's always exceptions that crop up. TRE has 13 Budd RDCs on its rail, used mostly during non-rush hour trains. L.A.'s Metrorail uses some ex-NJT Comet I cars. UTA's Frontrunner bought 25 ex-NJT Comet I cars too.

The reason why Bi-Level cars, either Bombardier's or Galley cars, are so popular out west is that all the commuter rail platforms are low. Having entry doors on the lower level of a Bi-Level car allows easier, quicker entries and exits. That's why ex-NJT Comet I cars are popular out west, the have trap doors that allows low level boarding. Additionally, having more capacity per car also means they can have shorter platforms, which of course is also cheaper to build. The costs for buying a brand new Bi-Level car isn't that much more expensive than buying a brand new single level car. So, it is cheaper to buy new Bi-Level cars overall. The single level Comet I cars are being bought used for slightly above scrap prices, a price that is difficult for any brand new car to beat.
Well, I'm aware of everything in your second paragraph. I also know about UTA's NJT C1 cars, but didn't realize that Metrolink used Comet I's though. In any case I was talking about mixed consists, not railroads that operate both single and high level cars. I'm almost 100% sure TRE doesn't operate the Budd DMU's with the bilevels. I don't fully know, but I can make a pretty strong guess that Frontrunnner and probably Metrolink don't mix consists either.

EDIT: Okay I found this on youtube-Metrolink with UTA Comet

So, maybe I wasn't mistaken and the Comets you thought were LA's are actually the ones UTA purchased that are for some reason being used by Metrolink. Anyway it's a mixed consist so I guessed wrong about that.
  by electricron

I wasn't trying to correct your mistake as much as state why Bi-Level cars are more popular out west.
The key reason being the low platform heights, and roll-on and roll-off ADA compliance regulations.
No single level FRA compliant train have low onboard floors that allow roll-on or roll-off capability at low station platforms. All single level commuter trains require mini high blocks and/or wheelchair lifts that will set tightly schedule commuter trains behind schedule. It's far better to have roll-on and roll-off capabilities..
  by realtype

electricron wrote:I wasn't trying to correct your mistake as much as state why Bi-Level cars are more popular out west.
The key reason being the low platform heights, and roll-on and roll-off ADA compliance regulations.
No single level FRA compliant train have low onboard floors that allow roll-on or roll-off capability at low station platforms. All single level commuter trains require mini high blocks and/or wheelchair lifts that will set tightly schedule commuter trains behind schedule. It's far better to have roll-on and roll-off capabilities..
That's a good point. I did realize that the Bombarider bilevels popular in the West had low level boarding platforms, but I forgot about the ADA requirements requiring level boarding which makes them necessary. Gallery cars however (used by Chicago, Caltrain, and VRE) also only board at low platforms (not counting the Metra EMU's) but have the same high floor as conventional cars on the lower level, so must be boarded using the stairs or an electric ramp or something (which I think the newer ones have) for disabled access.

Good point about the B'dier bilevels though, I had always thought that they were popular mainly because of the cost-effectiveness of the bilevels and their very muc proven design.