• CSX orders 100 SD70ACe's.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by locomotiveman1225

There has been rumor around that CSX purchased 100 more SD70ACe's. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Joel
  by MC6853

I wouldn't count on it... I've heard nothing but bad things about CSX's latest EMD purchases (the flared MAC's and the first 20 ACes)...

But of course, I don't pretend to be an expert, so I could be wrong...

>>MC
  by Steve F45

didn't they cancel an order with GE? Why order 100 ace's then?
  by locomotiveman1225

Who knows, as of now it's just a rumor. I'm trying to confirm it myself, and so are other people that I know. If I find anything out I'll keep you all posted.
  by lvrr325

Have traffic levels returned enough to warrant 100 new locomotives? Last i knew they had enough in storage they didn't even need the leased rent-a-wreck fleet.
  by railman616

At last count about 650 engines are in storage around the system. Most of the 600's are stored. I wish the 600's in Selkirk could be used on the B&A. It would help move things a bit better.
  by atsf sp

I beleive the original order was deemed a failure by the crews of CSX. There backbone is in the ES44s now with 300 AHs and 301 DCs. Plus the 500+ AC4400s.
  by roadster

They pulling ability seemed a little below the previous SD70's, they're noisey as hell. The only wide body type I need to wear hearing protection in. Engine noise and vibrations make communication in cab, very diificult, even the radio is difficult to hear even at higher volumes. Very rough riding, simular hard pounding to a 4 xl. Now, in all fairness, I have run a few BNSF SD70Ace's and found them fairly good riding and quiet.(Isolated Cab). I dought CSX is in the buying mood at present with so many in storage and Mechanics have told me, plans are to keep all stored units in storage. Particularly when they cancelled their favorite GE ES44 order. They seem to be very interested in the Catapillar SD40, SD50 rebuild program right now.