Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by kitn1mcc

i was in BK this weekend got on the L at the bedford station. i was looking around as normal. i noticed next to the tracks was a yellow handle sticking up. there was a signal there as well. when the train got closer the handle went down. but the signal stayed red. whats that handle thingy do
  by Kamen Rider

never seen the trip arm before?
  by railfaned

While I've always understood the trip arm operation, I could never understand how on the 7 line, the use of the signal hoop that the motorman would put on the head-end of the train in the 60's - 70's. I remember them being used on the R-12's, R15's and R-36's. Can anyone explain how the hoop worked. I remember seeing yellow trips hanging on the signals, but it always seemed that it wouldn't contact the hoops, without hitting the front of the train???
  by jtunnel

I thought that hoop was an antenna for the train radio system. Later replaced with the familiar "sinclair" antennas on the equipment.
  by Kamen Rider

the system, called "IDENTRA" was a magnet, which would align the route for express or local.
  by railfaned

My Thanks also!!!
  by Patrick Boylan

Kamen Rider, my dad had told me the Identra hoop was a passive sonar reflector. His explanation didn't make much sense to me since I thought there'd be too much noise in the subway for sonar to be effective.
I also am not sure your magnet explanation works. Wouldn't whatever magnetic device reads the hoop have to be extremely close, or extremely powerful?
A bit of google searching seems to say that it's a radio or radar reflector, which kind of makes more sense.
  by kitn1mcc

i would say radar is not likely. but and magnetic pickup sounds like it would be easy thing to do. or also Low Frequency could work too
  by Patrick Boylan

Scientifically ignorant as I am I would think radar and low frequency are both forms of radio detection
  by kitn1mcc

Radar is at the 10GHZ+range LF is is about 20HZ