• New Photo Pass Policy

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by RailBus63

Does anyone have the e-mail address where I can contact the MBTA to start the process for a photo permit? I want to start this in plenty of time for my upcoming trip during the holidays.

Jim D.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i don't have a photo pass and i just take pictures

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, same here, but I videotape the Red Line and its Cadigan Yard (not accomplished yet) and its cars (01800s only, no Pullman-Standards or UTDCs yet)

by Reddy Rocker

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:i don't have a photo pass and i just take pictures
Then you risk getting arrested. MBTA Rules and Regulations require a permit to take pictures on the T. Of course, you will most likely get away with it due to the lack of police on the system...
Last edited by Reddy Rocker on Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jwhite07

Massachusetts State Law requires a permit to take pictures on the T.
Oh really? I'd be very interested in seeing where that law exists.

by Reddy Rocker

Sorry about that, I meant the MBTA Rules and Regulations, and edited my post as such.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, you're right, although beware, if there's no permit in possesion, one could even be fined or summonsed still.
  by GP40MC 1116

Can someone explain how to get photo passes again? Also I wish that it was easier acess for you guys. I want to become a full time Firefighter and that is also a hobby of mine. I go arround many Fire stations in the Metro Boston area and take photos. Many of the fellow Brothers are so helpful they invite you inside and pull the trucks out for me to take photos. Not saying anything wrong w trains but i wish for everyone that the MBTA And everyone would just let us buff's photograph a little. I don't know what it will take. I even have hung out in a Boston Firehouse wantching the red sox game w the guys. They understand the hobby and don't mind

Bernie Kennedy
FF- Sanbornton NH Fire-Rescue

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow, i didn't realize they are that serious about it, maybe i should really consider on getting one this summer

by pdxstreetcar

The only problem I have ever had so far taking pictures (knock on wood :-D ) was taking a picture of a MBTA Flyer trackless trolley at Watertown loop on city streets when the driver told me I needed a permit. I have taken a lot pictures of the surface portions of the T including many of the Mattapan Ashmont line, North Station El and from T property too and have had no problem. I have a tiny Pentax digital camera which helps a lot for quick shots and is very discrete.

This new policy is really a problem for people who are traveling into Boston since I imagine you cant send in a request by mail but have to be there in person then wait the 5-10 days.

by njtmnrrbuff

Next month, I am making a trip on Acela for the first time to Boston for a day to start riding the MBTA commuter rail there.